Fuel Consumption (merged topic)

Djelibeybi

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 2m 19d
well my T used to never drop below 18L/100km...yes, I drove with a heavy foot, but not all the time!

I had it back to Ford several times and they said there was nothing wrong with it...

was making good power too - 224rwkw, totally stock!

Dave.

My new F6 so far is doing pretty well. In a horrific traffic jam around parramatta it was getting 16l/100, but normally around 12-13 in the city and on a run from Hornsby to jervis bay and back it was around 10l/100. Engine is still under 1000km. Looking pretty good.

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 9d

stop start day to day in Sydney with a few squirsts getting 14.5L/100ks and from Melbourne to Sydney sitting on 120kph with a a few mashings overtaking and accelerating to the speed limit from 40k zones achieved a miserly 10.01l/100ks :spoton:

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 20y 1m 22d

I fitted an SS Inductions CAI to my XR6T at the same time as a K&N Filter. All the reading material for these products say they should give me improved performance and less fuel usage.

Now I did buy an XR6 for performance and not to save fuel, but the computer is telling me I'm using 17.4 litres per 100km whereas before I fitted the CAI and filter I was using around 14.5.

I don't think I'm driving any different and I've even spent some time trying to drive more economically but still it only came down to 17.3. Most of my driving is around Melbourne, don't get a chance to take her for a decent country run very often.

I only use 98 RON and generally it's Caltex brand from the same servo.

Can anyone offer an explanation as to why the fuel consumption should have risen so sharply? Is it anything to do with my installation of the CAI and filter (which I thought was foolproof)?

Edited by silverchris

• Seriously Flukey Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7d

The biggest influence of fuel consumption is driving style. Adding what you did should not increase fuel consumption.

I have a mildy modded T and consistently get 13's around town.

Edited by Flukey

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 10m 10d

Both will give you better throttle response so perhaps you are heavier on the foot due to the mod without realising it?

I'm a country driver and only get up to the city around once a month. I haven't compared city litres yet, but on ther open road I've dropped from 8.9 l/100 to 8.1l/100 at 2000rpm in drive at 100km/h with a 2nd cai and K&N.

Edited by Skooby

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 17y 9m 22d

Iv read some pretty bad reviews on the fuel consumption of the xr6t.

Im driving a crappy old vr 6 cyclinder Late model camira at the moment. I drive to work every day in peak hour traffic and get about 300k to the tank. This costs about 50-60 a week to fill on $1:20 petrol prices.

Should I expect any dramatic differences in the T if im driving in traffic without thrashing it?

• My engine bay is Bionic
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9d
Iv read some pretty bad reviews on the fuel consumption of the xr6t.

Im driving a crappy old vr 6 cyclinder Late model camira at the moment. I drive to work every day in peak hour traffic and get about 300k to the tank. This costs about 50-60 a week to fill on $1:20 petrol prices.

Should I expect any dramatic differences in the T if im driving in traffic without thrashing it?

I get heaps better than that with a few squirts here and there. Ive found my T to be rather good on fuel. I'm always getting 450kms to a tank and on cruises with tonnes of flogging I get 400kms a tank.

Im sure you will get better fuel than 300k's a tank as you are in your VR commodore.

• Team Bute
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 13d

Around town the fuel economy can be higher than you'd like.... especially if you are crawling along in traffic. Obviously the style of driving you possess will also be a very big factor.

To give you some feedback.... I had a VR Calais (94 model 3.8 V6) and was getting around 16 l/100km around town and about 9l/100km on my interstate trips (Adelaide-Melbourne)

I have my XR6T ute, and get about 17l/100km around town, and 10l/100km on my interstate runs.... and I have over 300 rwkw available which do get used.

So make up your own mind whether that's excessive consumption.

PS... I was getting poorer economy when the car was stock 19l/100 city / 12l/100 highway. EDIT is the way to go with a quality custom tune for both power and economy.

tom

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

I get low 14's/high 13's around town and high 9's low 10's on the highway. My car is a 6 speed manual ute with aprox 330rwkw. As Tom said a decent custom tune is the way to go.

Edited by hiddeous

• Member For: 17y 6m 24d

My economy is getting worse (must have had a dud batch of fuel), went from 13s to 16s with no real changes in the way I drive.

The Ts certainly sensitive to driver input and vary hugely between Hwy and City. I'm a little dissapointed at this stage, especially considering I have a friend with an AMG Merc that is faster, heavier, bigger motor and more powerful, but uses 3/5ths of sweet FA in fuel compared to the T (before you all go off, I know it costs a hell of a lot more, but it's the power and weight I'm looking at here).

I am considdering an edit though in order to get the consumption down, but am baulked because I don't trust Ford not to use it as an excuse to knock back any unrelated warranty claims.