Djelibeybi

Fuel Consumption (merged topic)

I only ever use Optimax - even on the AU Fairmont Ghia V8 I traded in for my XR6T.

But the fuel consumption is a whole lot worse. I can get 120 km more per tank on my old Ghia compared to my new XR6T. That is comparing on exactly the same conditions. Driving from Albury to Sydney along the Hume Boring Hwy. Dealer tells me its because the car still has to be broken in. I doubt it though. The difference is 240 - 175 = 65Kw power.

That being the case its understandable and who cares - love that 65Kw extra power :thumbsup:

I find similar to Raoulc.

I am also in the Albury area and travel on the Hume hwy.

I am actually getting 12.2 - 12.5 using cruise. It is more than the AUXR6 but who cares.

If you bought this car it wasn't for the fuel economy anyway.

I like to drive mine the way it is meant to be driven so around town it uses about 16l/100km

Check out this thread on LS1.com. It would appear that Mr hamburglar should have a look at the real world figures for the fuel consuption of his Holdens before he bags our Fords

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php...=&threadid=8942

His test figures might be really good but when people actually drive the cars they can't get near it. Fords are a *beep* of a lot closer to the truth. Funny they seem to do the same thing with power fugures. Say its better than it is and we say its worse than it is. Just food for thought if your wopndering which car to buy!!!

l often hire Late model camira Execs with work and while there are many things l dont like about the car, l cant knock the fuel economy.

Repeatably get better than 9lt/100 mainly highway cruising in unloved rentals. Cant knock that. The Commie is around 150kg lighter than the BA but that's Fords fault for making the BA so heavy when other manufacturers are making theirs lighter. l hate to think what the new Fairlane is going to tip the scales at....

l often hire Late model camira Execs with work and while there are many things l dont like about the car, l cant knock the fuel economy.

Repeatably get better than 9lt/100 mainly highway cruising in unloved rentals. Cant knock that. The Commie is around 150kg lighter than the BA but that's Fords fault for making the BA so heavy when other manufacturers are making theirs lighter. l hate to think what the new Fairlane is going to tip the scales at....

that's the best I've heard so far and still now where near holdens highway test claims!

yes the BA is heavy but it is also extremely strong in the body. there fore it can have better handling and better safety than "other" cars! will be interesting to see some of the stastics when all the NCAP crash tests and the like are done.

Just finished canin...oops I mean driving the boss' VX LS1 Berlina and the trip computer is showing 12.5lt/100, better than my turbo! Surprising the motor doesn't appear to be rattling or using oil...yet. It's just clocked over 20000km.

The gen 3's fuel comsumption is excellent, especially for its capacity. My old one used less than my xr6t, not bad when you considered it was faster than my xr6t too.

yes the BA is heavy but it is also extremely strong in the body. there fore it can have better handling and better safety than "other" cars! will be interesting to see some of the stastics when all the NCAP crash tests and the like are done.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.ph...ct=ST&f=5&t=874

Shows how strong it really is :)

Out of the most reliable of my calculations, the best I have got out of a VX 'S' (basic V6 ecotec) is 7.7L/100k. I have a few very low figures of mid 5's to high 4's per 100, but I will have to get the auditors in to check those ones. Routinely get mid 8's in largely freeway conditions, and mid 12's for city-only driving. Worst ever is 14.7 in the first month of driving (after changing over from an old Mazda 626 - couldn't help but put the foot down a bit).

Just had a look at an HgAg and a Blueprint (with silver stripes) GTP (only window shooping!). I originally thought that the GT lent itself to the more flambouyant colours (orange/Lime) but both of these looked very tasty.

Anyway, I was looking for some light to be shed on the following data taken from the legally reqd ADR 81/00 fuel consumption labels (which I know you will never achieve in practice):-

XR6T Manual 13.5

XR6T Auto 12.5

XR8 Manual 12.5

XR8 Auto (none around but think it's 14.5)

GTP Manual 13

GTP Auto 15

Whats interesting to me is that the manual V8's seem pretty good (and better than the competition) but even more puzzling is the fact that the auto turbos come out of the test as more fuel efficient (a relative term here!) than the manual turbos (all vehicles were sedans).

Anyone know why this would be the case, as my auto will rarely cruise on the flat at anything less than low 9's and I would have thought that a manual would be lower (low 8's?). :festive:

If I cruise at 60km/h in my manual, I think I get consumption in the high 8's. Depends a bit on how warm the engine is and a few other things too.

im still running in my auto T, 1800k's, and the dash tells me that im getting 12.2 L/100k's avg.

I dont baby it too much, but having said that, I dont take it over 4000 rpm's either.

Edited by malcx

:festive: My manual is averaging 14.2 litres/100km. Mostly city and suburban driving (27000km to date).

On country trips the consumption improves to the 8's and 9's

Safe driving/riding to all

I drove mine auto ute in "granny Mode" for one tank and the best I could get was 14.9 so I just drive normally (giving it a reasonable squirt most of the time) and get about 16.5 which I reckon is OK. I am happy to blow 2 extra l/100k and enjoy having the turbo grunt. I am not ready for "granny mode" yet.

Thanks for the info guys - what I was really looking for some answers on from any of the techheads out there, was why the auto T gives better economy results under controlled testing than the manual, whereas with the V8's the expected outcome is achieved (ie manual better than auto).

On the Geelong Tour I was sitting on 115kph in a line of 6 cars

Mine is auto sitting on 2200 rpm and the manual behind me was sitting on 2400rpm(cramorr) Maybe the answer is here More revs= more fuel

Is anyone with the APS II kit installed recieving wrong reading from their fuel consumption.

Before the installation I was getting an average of about 15L/100k's, which equates to 466L to about 70 Litres of fuel.

Now the reading is more like 12L/100k's which in theory should be 588L from 70 Litres, and I'm definately not getting that much.

Peter maybe you can answer this one. And maybe offer a quick fix?

Cheers

Is anyone with the APS II kit installed recieving wrong reading from their fuel consumption.

Before the installation I was getting an average of about 15L/100k's, which equates to 466L to about 70 Litres of fuel.

Now the reading is more like 12L/100k's which in theory should be 588L from 70 Litres, and I'm definately not getting that much.

Peter maybe you can answer this one. And maybe offer a quick fix?

Cheers

Trbo6, the trip computer makes its calculations from the duty cycle of the fuel injectors. When larger injectors are installed the fuel flow increases for the same amount of injector duty cycle.

This is the reason as to why the trip computer makes the incorrect calculation for fuel economy. We currently do not have a method to rectify this issue. This problem applies to any xr6t fitted with larger than stock fuel injectors. :(

The injector duty cycle is the rate at which the injector opens and closes, the higher the duty cycle the longer duration that the injector stays open. :

APS

HI Peter,

This error in readings should remain fairly constant? I assume that it will be the percentage of increase in injector size or am I totally off in which case ill duck for cover, by the way im enjoying the new found power the car hasnt missed a beat

Cheers Frank

Just recently put in a K&N panel filter and have noticed fuel consumption has gone up dramatically- contrary to everyone's opinion of what happens when you put a K&N in. I was usually getting about 15l/100km, even with the lead foot. Now, after about 600klm with it in, I seem to be getting about 16.7l/100klm (of course maintaining the lead foot). This seems pretty high to me, I mean I have not changed anything else, still run Optimax every tank, still like to get to 60klm/h as promptly as possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions? apart from the obvious changing back. I have heard you can get the chip "flashed" to erase the fuel/ignition curves so it learns faster- anyone know?

Thanks.