Fuel Consumption (merged topic)

Djelibeybi

• Member For: 20y 9m 9d

Mine is 13.4 at the moment, I drive mostly at night and give the car a hard time everytime. Always floor it in second cause its so fun. Every set of lights gets a full boar take off and I frequently hit high speeds cause I can't help myself.

Mines a manual and it gets used! If I get the chance I try to bag em up on the launch. I am a bad drive I know but the car just begs for it!

I get about 550kms from 70L which equates to 12.7 so go figure.

• Member For: 19y 10m 27d
hrmmm....strange I have a auto T and mines showing 14.5L/100km running average. I drive it softly and on alot of highway. I guess with some you win, some you dont *shrug*

Still, its awesome economy for a car this big and heavy and with this much power, largely thanks I think, to the VCT exhuast cam which retards the timing on high vacumn cruise to raise fuel economy, (no need for a EGR valve like on many older cars) This was actually one of the main reasons that made me buy a BA turbo.

I cant wait to finish my home made OBD interface and hook it into my laptop to see what the computer is actually doing, and then maybe see where I am actually loosing out on fuel economy.

Sancho, I'd love to see the pics of your OBD interface. If it's what I'm thinking of, my friend has made one ofr his 200 SX and tells me that the BA's have the same interface as them. Apparently it's a little bit hush hush - as in Ford won't tell you anything about it. We hooked his up to his notebook in the car and you can do everything! It's amazing. You can shut down a cylinder at a time, drop or raise the revs, turn the thermo fans on and off, real time fuel map logging and all sorts of other crazy sh*t. We are going to be testing the 0 - 100k functions that the software has were it uses the ABS / wheel speed sensors to time the exact 0 - 100 times! He made his own interface using some CAT 5 cable and a special plug, what are you using?

P.S, we are averaging about 12.2 Lt / 100 kays, but get's up to as much as 15 - 16 when giving it the stick, but as low as 9's when driving on the highway.

I think that the manual turbo give's awesome economy for the size and power output. The XR8 (auto) is a shocker! I can barely get more than 450 kay's off a tank driving nicely, and it give's up to 18 lt / 100 kays if poking it, and only 15's for driving miss daisy...

Tock.

So this OBD interface to the ford ecu will it allow you to make adjustments to the standard ecu and if so what program are you using.

Biggy

Guest Tockley
  • Guests
hrmmm....strange I have a auto T and mines showing 14.5L/100km running average. I drive it softly and on alot of highway. I guess with some you win, some you dont *shrug*

Still, its awesome economy for a car this big and heavy and with this much power, largely thanks I think, to the VCT exhuast cam which retards the timing on high vacumn cruise to raise fuel economy, (no need for a EGR valve like on many older cars) This was actually one of the main reasons that made me buy a BA turbo.

I cant wait to finish my home made OBD interface and hook it into my laptop to see what the computer is actually doing, and then maybe see where I am actually loosing out on fuel economy.

Sancho, I'd love to see the pics of your OBD interface. If it's what I'm thinking of, my friend has made one ofr his 200 SX and tells me that the BA's have the same interface as them. Apparently it's a little bit hush hush - as in Ford won't tell you anything about it. We hooked his up to his notebook in the car and you can do everything! It's amazing. You can shut down a cylinder at a time, drop or raise the revs, turn the thermo fans on and off, real time fuel map logging and all sorts of other crazy sh*t. We are going to be testing the 0 - 100k functions that the software has were it uses the ABS / wheel speed sensors to time the exact 0 - 100 times! He made his own interface using some CAT 5 cable and a special plug, what are you using?

P.S, we are averaging about 12.2 Lt / 100 kays, but get's up to as much as 15 - 16 when giving it the stick, but as low as 9's when driving on the highway.

I think that the manual turbo give's awesome economy for the size and power output. The XR8 (auto) is a shocker! I can barely get more than 450 kay's off a tank driving nicely, and it give's up to 18 lt / 100 kays if poking it, and only 15's for driving miss daisy...

Tock.

So this OBD interface to the ford ecu will it allow you to make adjustments to the standard ecu and if so what program are you using.

Biggy

Nah no such luck Biggy. I've since found out from a mate of mine in the 200SX scene that the Fords actually have the OBD2 interface (which is supposedly not as good as the OBD due to a slower refresh rate) and the interface is quite limited from what I've been told. You can't change anything really, except maybe a temporary idle adjustment (that will go back to normal as soon as you disconnect) and a few readings from various sources. I haven't seen it up and running on the Ford, but have heard that it is no where as good as the Nissan interface unfortunately..

Tock.

• Team Blueprint
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 4m 10d

Just reset my clock today, just under 40 hours.

About 40-60% highway/ city driving,

average speed 41km/h,

Fuel av 13.6 L/100km

hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Maniac
  • Guests

Hi all,

Your feedback is welcome on this.

A few nights ago I raced an E36 BMW M3 1994 model, He pulled on me 2 car lengths.

His car is stock

and so is mine...

We raced again, he beat me by a car length again.

I then raced an STi with an exhaust - he ate me alive by 1 car length and kept pulling. Later in the week I raced an R33 Skyline GTR he ends up pulling 2 car lengths on me.

I mean, WHAT THE f*ck?

What really gets to me is that I am a pretty good driver and many do comment on my driving and I use to munch people like these.

Is this normal though? A Bmw M3 1994 model munching me for breakfast? As well as a 2000 model STi ?

When my car had really low kms (I think around 3000km) I dyno'd my car and got 205.4 KW at the wheels stock (the dyno is off by 15 or so kw) so technically I dyno'd 215.4 kw at wheels (for arguments sake) with my fuel sitting on 13.5 to 15.0 maximum consumption.

Now my car's fuel sits on 20L to 22L and get's beaten by an M3. $20 of fuel gets me 100km - Is this normal?

I don't know but I think somethings wrong with my T :(

Regards,

George

• The Thief of BadGags
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 27d

Can't comment on the "power" or "speed" issue....but in my opinion, your fuel useage does not seem right. I have travelled 24,000k's since November (in Sydney traffic), and my spreadsheet calculations (verified by ORIX's reports) continually have me at 11's and 12's per 100km.

• Poison Fish. Poison Fish. TASTY FISH!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 13d

Hmmm the E46 M3 stock, has a standard 0-100 of about 5.5s and does the 1/4 in 13.5.

The STi, especially if it has its torque hole fixed will do a 0-100 in about 5.2 and 1/4 in 13.2.

An R33 GTR with nothing more than an exhaust will do 0-100 in 5 Flat and the 1/4 Mile in 13 Flat.

The fastest turbo I think has been about 0-100 in 5.8 and the 1/4 Mile in 13.9 or so, but average is more like 14.1. If you worried about getting beaten by these there are many options...Spend another $80,000 on the M3 or consult with Nizpro, APS, Chiptorque, PAC Performance etc etc etc.

• Team Bute
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 13d
Hmmm the E46 M3 stock, has a standard 0-100 of about 5.5s and does the 1/4 in 13.5.

The STi, especially if it has its torque hole fixed will do a 0-100 in about 5.2 and 1/4 in 13.2.

An R33 GTR with nothing more than an exhaust will do 0-100 in 5 Flat and the 1/4 Mile in 13 Flat.

The fastest turbo I think has been about 0-100 in 5.8 and the 1/4 Mile in 13.9 or so, but average is more like 14.1. If you worried about getting beaten by these there are many options...Spend another $80,000 on the M3 or consult with Nizpro, APS, Chiptorque, PAC Performance etc etc etc.

Lumpy, you're wise beyond your years.

Couldn't agree more. :spoton:

• Member For: 20y 8m 5d

It's possible that you've had a bad load of fuel, and the ECU has backed off the tune... :verysad:

Try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes, and then take it for a drive and do a few power runs.

ie take it to redline, making sure that the engine gets a chance to cover the full rev range.

Disconnecting the battery will erase the "learnt" ECU parameters (known as the KAM - keep alive memory) and will make the car forget it's bad habits !

A few members have reported this type of problem - some cars seem more prone to it than others...

• Like 1