Overboost

senna_T

• Member For: 15y 4m

yer I read in a mag if you free the exhaust up to much it pushes straight past the acculator in the waste gate coz there is no bak pressure so you can upgrade the acculator and the flapper spring and have the free flowin exhaust or have a cat with a bit of restriction

• 6 months later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 20d

I am really sorry to bring up an old thread but I have a problem.

I have an FG XR6T ute stock with CAI.

I took the car to a track day on Saturday and experienced the boost cutting in and out. It was quite a hot day.

Could someone explain to me please the 'overboost' and 'boost cut' for me?

I rang Ford and the guy was useless, he just said he didn't know and to ask around.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 21d

You may find on the track you were experiencing "Fuel Surge". This happens when the fuel sloshes around in the tank and moves away from the fuel pump pick-up. Not as bad onutes as it is on sedans, however with a low fuel level this can happen.

How much fuel did you have in your car when you were at the track?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 20d

I had about 3/4 of a tank.

It was making the noise like the boost was being blown off and then the power would kick in again.

It was very annoying as I was getting to half way down the straight and it wouldnt go any faster.

• 1 month later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 9m 26d

yeah 1 day I put in normal premium fuel cause the servo didnt have vpower or optimax and as soon as I booted it the engine light came on puttin the engine safe mode with only 5 psi....

so I went to ford and they checked it out and said it was over boost by the computers history ????

so I was like wtf how can it over boost with less octane fuel ?????

but never done it again ......

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member For: 14y 4m 14d

If you fit a full free flowing exhaust and intake piping/intercooler is a custom tune needed or will a generic 10psi flash tune from a CAPA box be sufficient?

I would most likely be fitting the intercooler and exhaust set up myself with a 10psi generic tune until I get the car in for a custom tune + injectors and wastegate mod if needed.. Will I just need to drive the car off boost until it is properly tuned?

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members

Read the posts above mate - exhaust is a no-no without tune. Cat back is ok, but change the dump and cat and you will lean out the tune.

:beerchug:

• Member For: 15y 3m 27d

I totally agree

one question thought senna u said it overboosted when u got rid of the cat...

will the car overboost if you gut out the cat?

I gut the cat the other day in prep for my tune tomorrow. I have a boost gauge to monitor things so I eased on the boost and watched it go to about 7-8psi and the computer just said no go and cut out. So yes ,GUT the cat and it will overboost to the amount that the factory tune wont allow it.

Crap I just saw the age on this old post sorry people! Too many beers!

Edited by 82CNT

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members

Sorry I was trying to see what kind of tune you meant, like a generic flash tune loaded onto the car or a proper custom tune done on dyno

Really doesn't matter what tune you do it on mate, if the tune is set to a certain boost level and the fuel system is close to its limit then any significant increase will lead to a lean-out. The ecu's in these cars are pretty good, but when the fuel runs out there aint much you can do.