Exhaust Heat Shields

quick xr6

• Suspended
  • Member For: 16y 2m 8d

hi I have ba xr6 n/a flashed and custom tune it got 2 half '' exhaust I had a noise some were in the heat shield so took them all out the cat one to wil it do affect the performance. one thing else should my cat be flanged on or welded thank.

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 29d
Threads merged...

Again... :blink:

You were a problem child weren't you? :blink:

Removing the heat shields will have no effect on performance whatsoever.

In an N/A I'd be amazed if you could feel a slight drop in power. If you are worried get CV to run it up on the dyno again. :hohum:

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 16y 4d

Removing the heat sheild wont affect anything .. they do keep heat in the Extractors , and Hot air flows faster than Cooler air .. Keep that in mind .. Some of the Nascar Guys uses Manifold Blankets , to preheat there Exhaust Manifolds ...

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 19y 6m 15d

..bear in mind if it comes to an insurance claim, if the insurance company wants to be difficult they could claim it as a 'modification' - if your car caught on fire (crash etc as happened to me, caught on fire apparently from tranny stick popping out and oil dumping on extractors) they could use this to claim damage to the wreck from your actions and possibly ask you to pay the difference.

Unlikely as it is, I thought I should mention it. I had a family member's car in for repair (front-ended a towbar) and the assessor queried the repairer about why the air snorkel was missing - seriously!

Other than that there's litttle reason to remove the shield from a vehicle with factory headers.. if anything it will increase heat damage to components nearby under extreme conditions (my extractors used to glow red-pink frequently :P)

• rob327
  • Member For: 16y 1m 11d

ive seen claims knocked back before because the car had different rims.... implying that the same sized, yet non-standard rims are what caused the accident...

insurers can basically make their own rules... used to work at a repairer..