Ute Surge Tank/044 Installation

• Into the laaaake
  • Member For: 16y 9m 14d

So ive started installing a 2L surge tank and Bosch 044 pump into my ute.

Parts ive used so far.

Bosch 044: $200

Mounting Braket: $42

Tank: $140

3/8 & 5/16 EFI hose/clamps: $75

Speedflow checkvalve/fittings: $105

Aluminum Plate: $0

Wire/Relay/Bolts/Connectors/Misc: $60

Keep in mind that some of these items have freight added on also.

The plate I used is 330mm long, 160mm wide and 6mm thick. I just happened to have some laying around so it did the trick nicely. Ive bolted it in 5 places using 3 10mm bolts and 2 8mm bolts. I just used existing holes in the ute.

For the wiring, ive spliced into the 12v supply from the stock pump (pink wire) and ran it to a relay. For the 12v supply for the 044 ive spliced into another pink wire which has constant 12v on it which runs to the towbar connector. Not sure what its use is. Ive concealed all the wiring that ive run within the standard loom.

Ive fused that 12v supply with a 20A fuse as close as possible to the relay.

Ive mounted the pump to a vertical section of the tray. The lower hole was tricky to drill as you need a short drill and you have to get to it from under the car.... Its a tight squeeze. The top hole is simple. Im going to try to insulate the braket with some rubber.

Im yet to mount the tank or run the fuel hose as yet. That will be a job for later in the week when the tank and speedflow fittings arrive.

This is the tank, its just a cheapy:

f82d_1.jpg

This is what I have to start with:

P2100005.jpg

P2100008.jpg

This is what ive done so far, stay tuned:

P3020002.jpg

P3020006.jpg

P3020004.jpg

P3020001.jpg

P3020005.jpg

Edited by hanra

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Into the laaaake

Hahahahah! Yeah I know. I studied that pic that you put up in another thread!!!! hahaha!

Yeah im going to try and get some exhaust hangers, that have a thread either end but are seperated by a block of rubber.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d

Did you find it easy getting the plastic liner out and do you know if you can get the standard fuel pump out this way or is that beam in the road?

• Into the laaaake

The tub liner is easy as!!! 12 bolts and 4 screws and its out. 2 man lift though.

I doubt you would get the pump out that way, yes there is a beam in the way. Perhaps you could undo the straps for the tank and shift it slightly to expose the entire pump?

• Member For: 19y 10m 1d

how come you just didn't use the Process west swirl pot ? bolts up in ten minites, and is only a bit more. must be a reason, just wondering what it was. you get more noise from the back of the ute then the front, or did you not expect it to add up to so much, or just wanted to do it yourself?

David

• Member For: 17y 15d

I reckon you have done the wiring wrong.

you need a good power supply to the 044,something like a 4mm wire direct from the battery to the relay and fuse it as close to the battery as you can.

that wire you have tapped into may not big enough and you will find that it is fused back in the engine bay with maybe a lower amp fuse than the 20 amp the 044 needs.

take the time to run proper wiring or you will have dramas more than likely

• Into the laaaake

I didnt expect this to add up to so much. The PW tank is $600ish without a pump I thought I could get out of it a bit cheaper. In hindsight though maybe not. I like to give myself projects to undertake on the weekend.

This is the pump:

P30200012.jpg

P302000123.jpg

P302000121.jpg