Removal Of Turbo In Preperation Of Porting And Valve Mod

mrmackie

• Member For: 16y 9m 4d

yes I have , if you have a lot of patients and about 1 & 1/2 hours , it can be done without removing

turbo

p.s a hoist would be the go

Smarty

• Member For: 17y 3m 4d

Great post mrmackie and headsex for the added tips. These are the sort of threads that make this site such a great place. It gives some of us novices an idea of how to attempt to fix and fiddle with our cars. :bangcomputer:

• Member For: 15y 9m

hey just had a few questions for ya's, I have just has the 12 actuator installed and had the waste gate machined and larger flapper

just asking around and the people I know with xr6t's have not done this mod eventhough they have installed exhaust's intercoolers custom tunes

I would have thought this would be one of the first mods, as to avoid overboost/boost spiking when running higher boost spressures, because they only have a 5.9psi wastegate standard

and it was for the reason that I was getting over boost, like with the 8spi/10psi Capa flash tune it was spiking up to like 13psi at times.

so just wondering is this a common modification and do you all had this done?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 10m 8d

Alot of poeple dont do any mods to the turbo ad get ok boost control, other get massive spikes.

There's lots of tuners that tune differently and can control boost where others can't / havnt try'd or bothered.

Best thing to do is go with your chosen tuners advise, as he will decide the end result... some wont tune without the mods being done, others are happy to and get good results.

Boost control and behavior is also greatly effected by the flow of air into and out of the motor, which is why some guys have HAD to do the mod, and others are happy to see a few psi up or down.

• 2 months later...
  • <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 4m 20d

I've removed all the banjo fittings, dump pipe bolts, coolant tank + pipes...etc its all out of the way. All that is left is to remove the 3 (1 has fallen off while driving) bolts holding the turbo to the manifold. BUT I cannot for the life of me undo the bolts on the manifold/turbo. I feel that if I try any more it will round the nut. I've tried about 5 different size 14 ring spanners (all are the 12 point type, as I can't find/buy a 6 point ring spanner anywhere) and I'm using the one which grips the best - they all have a bit of play in it.

I've tried using WD40, heat on the nut and neither helps.

So my question is, would it be okay for me to remove the manifold with the turbo still attached, and lift the manifold + turbo out of the engine bay together. Or do you recommend NOT taking off the exhaust manifold from the engine? All of those bolts can be easily cracked and removed.

turbo_to_manifold2.jpg

Edited by XF Falcon

• <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 4m 20d

Never mind I got the bolts off in the end, oh and the manifold is off too. Spewing, I should really buy a new exhaust manifold gasket now shouldn't I?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 6m 11d
Never mind I got the bolts off in the end, oh and the manifold is off too. Spewing, I should really buy a new exhaust manifold gasket now shouldn't I?

Nice write up mrmackie, you make it look easy which is why I gave it a go...well...

XF Falcon: How did you get the last nut/bolt off?? This is the one I'm stuck on right now...

I've got every nut off... dump pipe was easy, so was the other 3 turbo-to-manifold ones, except the one you pictured above. I think I've rounded the nut a bit :stirthepot:

I have 2 questions for you or anyone here

1) How should I get the rounded nut off, considering access is poor? (dont care if it dies in the process)

2) In my BA mk 1, I have studs for the turbo to dump pipe assembly, as well as the turbo to maifold, how do I get studs out without damaging them??