Wa Fishing/watersport Thread!

bonza

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 20d

Yeah I used to jump into the mackie and tuna schools of Warrora Station for a laugh....I never took shots though ad there's normally some decent sharkies cruising around which just pinch your fish. The best is what we call tiger shark trolling where we would get towed behind the tinny on the way back from a surf (back of ningaloo), when you see a decent baldie you just let go of the rope and go and shoot it. You cover a lot of ground quickly which is the go with baldies.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 15d

Now Dan, I've been lucky enough to free swim with small tiger sharks (and saw a couple of 14 footers) at the montebello's but essentially being trolled behind a boat at the back of Ningaloo is perhaps one of the craziest things a person can do!

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 20d

Not one of us have had a tiger approach when trolling...yet lol. Normally it's shoot a good fish and jump straight into the tinny and you're off back to camp. But yeah I got some funny stories from surfing trips up there. A classic was when we were fishing in about 10m water inside the reef and a good fish took cover in the coral....expecting it to be a baldie I convinced my mate to free dive down with the gun and shoot it. So off he goes running his hand down to guide him to the fish. Turns out it was a bronzie, about 5ft :bangcomputer: montebello's....so want to go there, heard lots of good things and decent waves too :bukkake:

• Donating Members

Not one of us have had a tiger approach when trolling...yet lol. Normally it's shoot a good fish and jump straight into the tinny and you're off back to camp. But yeah I got some funny stories from surfing trips up there. A classic was when we were fishing in about 10m water inside the reef and a good fish took cover in the coral....expecting it to be a baldie I convinced my mate to free dive down with the gun and shoot it. So off he goes running his hand down to guide him to the fish. Turns out it was a bronzie, about 5ft :blaah: montebello's....so want to go there, heard lots of good things and decent waves too :msm:

Yeh Monte's are awesome! In my younger / fitter days I used to surf a bit but mainly fish and I've been lucky to travel most of WA's coastline.

When I was up at the Monte's, there group of young guys were in a boat nearby. Looked to be early teens who had just got sponsored (coulda been Rip Curl I think) and these guys were sh*tting themselves. Your a LONG way offshore, there are big sharks everywhere (we encountered dozens of 3m+++ sharks). I saw some waves around Barrow Island which were a nice clean 12ft and at Monte's you get really long waves. Some 500m+. Few days during our trip (9 nights) it woulda been pushing 10ft and very few people around.

The guys I fished with (rod sponsors) wanted to do the bottom bouncing thing but there is nothing more boring. Raised some sails and hit a patch of dogtooth tuna at Trial Rocks that smashed me on 80lb braid. About 25nm west of the reef there is a drop off that goes from 270m to about 1100m. I truely believe that will be the spot for 800lb+ marlin in WA. Speaking to a skipper of a rape and pillage boat during an offshore navigation class one day and he mentioned it as a good spot for broadbill... Still searching for someone who's stupid enough to do a trip like that!

Saw some big surf down way past esperance few years back. 15ft+ big antartic swell but messy and we couldnt fish for couple of days. Rock's unfishable, beaches waste of time.

• Donating Members

Oh and a famous actor who I happened to be diving with on the barrier reef one day, reminded me its the sharks you don't see that you need to worry about!! But your pretty lean and look healthy so probably of no interest to a passing tiger! Me on the other hand could feed one dor a month and I reckon I'd be pretty tasty!