Wa Fishing/watersport Thread!

bonza

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 3d

I went for a dabble down freo again late sunday arvo. you wouldn't believe it, I got wiped out by that same whopper flathead down in the leuwin boat pens. the thing hits like a freight train and ran for deeper water. only stayed connected to it for around 30 seconds to a minute before bust off. 10lbs leader just isn't enough, he saws straight through it. got the leader back and inspected it, the last 6 to 8 inches is chaffed to bugger causing the bust off. I'll put it down to being a big flathead over a mulloway or gaint herring, since flathead seem to be the more territorial of the species and a giant herring would have just spooled my on light spin gear. either way, to encounter the same bust off in exact same spot is pretty interesting. I think its time to up the stakes and bring down a more hefty outfit to do battle with this guy. hopefully this is his hangout and I can get stuck into him again!

Old Man Flathead 2 : Bonza 0

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 21d

Haaa third time lucky bonza!! Get some 50lb braid and a flying gaff lol

Mackies are very thin now apparently (as expected). Salmon will still be a bit off but my mate in dounsborough said they are are around in good numbers down their way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 17y 8m 14d

went out crabbing last night at mosman. dropped a couple of pots and then went diving round the bay. we only got 2 females and one male and they aren't huge either. anyone know any good spots round that area?

Rhys

Edited by rhysy_boi

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 16d

Well it seems theres plenty of Salmon down south.. pro's arent netting them this season!

Made a lightnining trip to Cape Naturaliste (other than brakes getting a good workout) it loved those roads and especially no need to worry about speed cameras!),

Fished Wyadup rocks, to no avail but the beach itself had bucket loads of schools swimming past!

Ended up keeping a 7kg salmon as it inhaled the lure and woulda died I think :(

• Member For: 17y 8m 14d

if weathers alright I might try raffles this weekend but I understand it's getting quite late in the season to get any big ones.

also where would be a good shop to grab some crab pots from?

cheers guys

Rhys

• 2 weeks later...
  • - Track Bound EVO III -
  • Member For: 19y 3m 13d

Dropped some pots in the swan last week in 2m of water

Got 15 good sized crabs :) Considering what state we were in, it was a stellar effort to just find the pots, even with GPS................

Snapper heads, cut in half..

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 21d

Haaaa awesome, 15 is a decent effort!!!

Friday is looking mint to get wet... decent swell and E/SE wind :-)

Think I'll be strolling into work a little late!

• 4 months later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 16d

As much as I'd love to fish Cape Don / Gove etc it would be bloody hard to go past the Rowleys

The guys from Reel Teaser seem to get good results as does the crew on Kingfisher III. I've spent some time at random offshore locations onboard Warrior Princess and after seeing and fishing on board some of the gamefishing setups in Cairns, I reckon a decent game boat is the way to go. I think Reel teaser is like that! Perhaps not if you want to bottom bash but if you chasing game fish I think it is nicer! Might be a bit lumpier but just adds to the fun!

If you need people to fill spots....

Speaking of fishing, one of the bosses at work was chasing Mac's at exmouth last week when 50-75kg marlin jumped on a skirted lure on 15kg intended for something else! Cant argue with that!