Circuit Racing

sixfan

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 28d

It does make a difference.

Its a tight fit with my Tig 1800hp cooler and Fenix 32mm radiator. Was still tight when I had a Process West stage 3 cooler and Fenix 42mm alloy rad.

The problem comes down to the AC condenser and the power steering cooler. Relocating the power steering cooler could be done fairly easily but the AC condenser isn't going to be as simple.

• Member For: 16y 7m 10d

yeah the jonny tig stepped cooler pushes the top of the radiator back around 25mm, which doesn't leave much space between the fan shroud and the belts. Can't really fault the performance of the intercooler, did a great job on the street right through summer with 360kw, but not much point having it if the engine overheats after a couple of minutes of WOT.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 2d

Well if that's the case , and I wasnt aware regarding the rad relocation. Then if you are going to track the car you need to see cooler and rad as a package 

You will never keep the temps down with a stock or 32mm rad. 

On 5/26/2018 at 4:58 PM, furiousgibbon said:

Disappointed to hear that fenix heavy duty radiators are no longer an option, I had pretty much made the decision to give one a try. No chance I'll fit a pwr radiator behind this Jonny tig cooler. 

Curious to know what intercoolers are in use on cars that are overheating, and what power they're generating? I didn't have any issue with F6 stock cooler/stock power except for one day when it was 43C and it hit coolant warning after about 2-3 mins on track. 

With the 335kw tune plus the Jonny tig IC I was getting coolant warning after 3-4 mins but ambient temp was less than 20. Undertray was not installed so that might have contributed. 

At the moment I'm thinking my options are, switch to a plazmaman 700 or 800hp tube and fin cooler, get it retuned and try my luck with a pwr radiator (could insulate the end tanks to avoid contact?), or, see if jonny tig could make me a customer cooler minus the stepped top section, which would open up the radiator to more air flow. I'm not sure why intercoolers on these cars are so tall, but I'd hope a good quality lower section would still be able to handle ~330 on track and ~360 on street? 

Have you looked at the nizpro cooler.  If it sits in front of the condenser you should have no issues with fitting the  large PWR rad.  Give them a call and discuss your options. 

Although I have BA BF, I have nizpro cooler and 50mm rad. All fits no problem. 

• Member For: 13y 2m 17d
Disappointed to hear that fenix heavy duty radiators are no longer an option, I had pretty much made the decision to give one a try. No chance I'll fit a pwr radiator behind this Jonny tig cooler. 

Curious to know what intercoolers are in use on cars that are overheating, and what power they're generating? I didn't have any issue with F6 stock cooler/stock power except for one day when it was 43C and it hit coolant warning after about 2-3 mins on track. 

With the 335kw tune plus the Jonny tig IC I was getting coolant warning after 3-4 mins but ambient temp was less than 20. Undertray was not installed so that might have contributed. 

At the moment I'm thinking my options are, switch to a plazmaman 700 or 800hp tube and fin cooler, get it retuned and try my luck with a pwr radiator (could insulate the end tanks to avoid contact?), or, see if jonny tig could make me a customer cooler minus the stepped top section, which would open up the radiator to more air flow. I'm not sure why intercoolers on these cars are so tall, but I'd hope a good quality lower section would still be able to handle ~330 on track and ~360 on street?
My cooler is only a PWR stage 1 as I didn't want to have to cut it to fit. However I made sure the tuner was aware that I was tracking the car, so as it was explained to me (I'm no tuner!) he intentionally kept it very safe by not absolutely maxing the turbo out and generating un-necessary heat for the sake of an extra 10 or 15rwkw. I believe it's also erring on the rich side for same cooling reasons but can't confirm 100%. Car ended up making 287rwkw which is abit below the 300rwkw benchmark for the mods I have. I was watching intake temps on OBD2 on the track and I don't remember them ever getting above 44c

It sounds like other people have it much worse than me. I never get a cooling warning on the dash and it takes several hot laps for the coolant needle to start climbing.

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 13y 2m 17d

Nah won't be able to make that one unfortunately. Are there more Aussie cars at the track school events? I'm usually one of only 3/4 Commos / Falcons at the circuit club days. Endless 86s and mx5s though.

That's a bloody good time mate! What work have you done? My 113:8 was stock other than tune @ 287rwkw.

This will be my first time out since bigger brakes and shockworks. If I could take a second off I'd be happy...

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 20d

Haha thanks mate it’s taken me a long time and a lot of mods to get there, but have done it over a lot of yrs. I’m running teins, 6pot brembos and 400+rwkw on e85 and semis.

You will love good suspension and big brakes, makes a massive difference, stock suspension and brakes are so under done for these cars, I remember cornering before the teins and I swear it felt like I was falling off the toad at every corner just from the body roll. With the big brakes you will over brake and go heaps slow for the corner but just lap by lap move your braking point deeper and deeper. Just make sure u keep slamming them on when u first hit the brake pedal, trust me I learnt that the hard way trying to run deep and running off the straight at 200kmh many many times.

Lol nah same deal not many Aussie cars, there’s just not many fast commies or falcons vs everything else. Plus Wakefield isn’t really that well suited to our big heavy fast cars. Given its such a tight technical track so easy for everything else to do a decent time vs the effort for us. That and it’s more rare for people to make their turbo taxis go extra fast. But when your destroying cars that are 100k plus with your turbo taxi, spitting flames out the exhaust and having a blast it makes it all worth it!

It’s a shame u can’t make it there’ll be two xr6 turbos running sub 1:10 on Monday.