Sway Bar Linkage

Azid Rush

• Member For: 13y 3m

I get a creaking, clicking sound too when the load changes on the suspension going around corners and even hard acceleration. Sounds almost like cv joints sound on a small car when they wear out. I will have to give these suggestions a try unless someone has any other ideas? :)

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 10y 8m 10d

If your getting a clunking noise under the car more than likely the bottom link nuts need tightened up (link to sway bar connection). Easy enough to do without taking the wheels off. Just jack the car up, grab a 8mm spanner and 18mm spanner and give them a tweak.

It seems on the FGs the links and the sway bar bushes are the most common 'bush' component to fail.

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 10y 6m 27d

Hi everyone, ive noticed a few people are having issues with snapping sway bar links in the middle of the link.. has anyone snapped the actual thread part just inside the rubber boot? Ive snapped 3 like this in 2 months, 2 within 3 weeks.. any suggetions would he great!?

Thanks

post-72828-138345830335_thumb.jpg

post-72828-138345831362_thumb.jpg

yes, I have had one snap there. In my case I didnt do the nut up tight enough, it came loose a bit and worked itself into a wired angle that then snapped the thread.

Next one I did it put a second nut on there and also used loctite and it has been good as gold (was just weired why it kept coming loose - same tourque as the others )

hope that helps

for the record I used $40 ebay pair

• Member For: 10y 6m 27d

These are all from pedders.. I have done that before double nut and loctite.. couldnt get them undone again though to replace ball joints though..

And they definitely werent loose! Was a pain to get them ubdone

Edited by kylec

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member For: 15y 8m 7d

I recently fitted a Whiteline blade adjustable rear sway bar with Whiteline KLC143 links on my FG XR6T. After just 6 days one of the links give way with a bang while interstate. The ball popped clean out of its socket. I had to remove the rear bar so that we could continue driving. Fortunately the seller express mailed me a replacement set to the caravan park where we were camping.

There was 3 of us in the car with our camping gear when it happened and although we were carrying a bit of gear I did not consider us overloaded. I now have the swaybar on its softer setting for less tension (which still works well) but am now wary about if it will happen again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 24d

I recently fitted a Whiteline blade adjustable rear sway bar with Whiteline KLC143 links on my FG XR6T. After just 6 days one of the links give way with a bang while interstate. The ball popped clean out of its socket. I had to remove the rear bar so that we could continue driving. Fortunately the seller express mailed me a replacement set to the caravan park where we were camping.

There was 3 of us in the car with our camping gear when it happened and although we were carrying a bit of gear I did not consider us overloaded. I now have the swaybar on its softer setting for less tension (which still works well) but am now wary about if it will happen again.

These will fix it

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/61435-heavy-duty-link-pins-now-in-stock/page-3#entry1452787

• Like 1