It Begins!

Falcon XR-

• Member For: 16y 10m 15d

G’day all,

Thought it was about time to finally pop in and say hi. I’ve been reading and generally enjoying this great site for some time, plenty of helpful info on one of fords best products (XR6 Turbo of course).

I’ve a BF mkII XR6T in Ego with the six speed auto (pic attached) and am really enjoying it. After reading all the exciting mods people have been doing to these things I’ve been contemplating an upgrade.

So to start, what I’d like to know is the difference in general engine performance between the BF Typhoon and XR6T. Apart from the intercooler and second intake is it just the engine management system that makes the difference or is there more to it? It seems the Typhoons respond a little better to upgrades then the XR6T from what I can gather and I’m wondering why?

What I’d ideally like to do is upgrade the performance of my XR6T to Typhoon standards for starters. I’m not really into the bling stuff and to be honest would prefer to keep as much of the OEM equipment as is practical (now I’m showing my age LOL). Also recommendations on custom tuners in the Brisbane area would be much appreciated.

Finally, it seems a lot of the modification focus is rear wheel kilowatts increases, how does this relate to real world performance such idle quality, drivability and fuel economy. I’m trying to get a better understanding of how e.g. 300rwkw relates to the real world driving experience.

If a standard XR6T is capable of a high thirteen quarter at roughly 100mph then 300rwkw must equate to a mid 12 at perhaps 115mph depending on available grip? Would this performance level bring with it associated compromises in general drivability? Questions, questions, so many questions……… :D

Cheers

Adrian

post-11852-1199324235_thumb.jpg

• My new toy
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 6d

Welcome adrian as for who to talk to south side I would talk to paul from elite automotive and on the north side rdp.

As for difference between typhoon and xr6t I dont believe once you start moding them there is that much difference.

I beleave yours should have the same rods as the typhoon.

As for 300 rwkw's tuned with the edit idle and drivablity are as good if not better than standard.

fuel ecomomy will depend on driving style.

All you will need for 300 rwkw's is bigger injectors,edit and for our weather possibly an intercooler.

Ian

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 2d

:spoton: Nice Ride.

BF II and Typhoon Engines are pretty much the same, asside from the obvious you pointed out. The best thing about these cars is when they get tuned you oftern find that drivability and fuel economy actually improve especially in a auto. Not sure on the good brizzy tuners but someone will point ya in the right direction. Good luck with ya Mods.

Wish I had a ZF :omg:

Edited by XRTPSI

• www.australianflag.org.au
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 11d

Mate come on a cruise, jump in a few cars and see the difference. Go see Paul from Elite, he will take you for a drive in one of his monsters, then its just a matter of how far you want to go.

Scotty

• Large Member
  • Member For: 17y 1m 22d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

Nice paint job! :spoton:

As for tuners, go meet or have a chat to them on the phone. You will get people swearing by a tuner, just be careful as most of them have never been to more than one, and they are just FAN boys... :fishin:

My last lot of work was done at RDP. Happy as larry, just wish I could afford to go out to willowbank more often. :3gears:

Cruises are a great place to meet the freaks and see what they have done. Plus hearing their cars and seeing them do their thing really helps with where you want to be. I cant suggest enough to go out to the raceway if you are thinking about racing your car and seeing how it goes stock and getting a good feel for launching the ZF.

Felix

• Yaris member
  • Member For: 17y 9m 7d

You will also need to add a cat if you want 300rwkw...

I have a manual and "only" 267rwkw, but my fuel economy when cruise went from 12 to 10L/100km. Around town, with stamping on the pedal, it's actually 0.5L/100km less than it was stock with less pedal massaging.

For ~$2,500 you can get an edit box, custom tune, bigger injectors (siemens 60lb's for example) & a 3.5" cat installed & that would give you high 200's-low 300s @ the wheels and you will have a very quick car that is still driveable (with caution), better fuel economy & idles smoother than stock.

Guest Wingnut
  • Guests

Like most have already said 300rwkw is a really nice place to be in terms of drivability and fuel economy. With the later model T you dont have the issues someone like myself would have with say gearbox or bottom end. So I would suggest talk to someone about what you want get them to do a qoute then get it all done in one hit.

The first time you put your foot down with 300+rwkw you will be very pleased to say the least. :)

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 20d

I can definately recommend a large aftermarket intercooler, you don't have to have it shiny - paint it! This will insure you get consistent performance out of the car, especially after it is edited. The standard ones suffer greatly from heatsoak, which dulls the performance after awhile.

Also, I agree that getting everything done at once is a good idea!

• Member For: 16y 10m 15d

Wow, thanks for all the replies :yikes:

I went for a quick run over to Elite however they were closed, no dramas at least I know where they are now. I know Elite are site sponsors, how come no Elite forum? I'll get in touch via email.

I'm really relieved to hear drivability and general car manners are unaffected if not improved via a custom tune, outstanding. Guess I wont be needing my box of Holley jets or power valves any more LOL.

I'll keep an eye out for the next Brissy cruise and will tag along, be a great chance to chat with those that "have been there and done that" as well as admire some nice cars.

It seems as though an after market intercooler will be beneficial, what are the main considerations when looking for one. I'd like to use the car at sprint events (Queensland raceway) as well as having fun at the strip (Willowbank raceway) so will this have any bearing on choice?

One thing I have noticed with the larger intercoolers is they appear to block a lot of the in coming air that would seem to be required to keep the engine temps cool. Is this correct or am I miles of the mark here?

Anyway, that's enough for now. Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Cheers

Adrian

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 20d

well, you should be going for a large cooler, but it also depends on your aplication, RAP1D coolers are quite good and are great value for money, the plazmaman coolers seem to be getting excellent results also, then there is process west - too many choices!

The newer design of intercoolers these days tends to be pretty good, and they don't seem have too much bearing on the engine temp, plus, the thermo fans are pretty effective, and you can always fit a cooler thermostat if you are going to be doing sprint events