phantomchic

Movie Reviews

15 minutes ago, Rab said:

Took me a while to work out who/where I'd seen them

hahahah no sh*t

5374414_orig.jpg

Edited by Ford Freak

Yep - someone posted a video clip of them in "What music are you listening to"

Took me friggin ages to work out where I'd seen them - was in Chappie the week earlier

Edited by Rab

3 hours ago, Rab said:

Yep - someone posted a video clip of them in "What music are you listening to"

Took me friggin ages to work out where I'd seen them - was in Chappie the week earlier

ha good work Rab

GOOD WORK ME MORE LIKE.

Also, Deadpool. Funniest Superhero in the modern Marvel/DC madness (not hard though - gritty realism somber boo-hoo yadda yadda bullcrap). Defs see a franchise considering the success, and appreciated the fourth-wall breaking, including mentioning what I just said about franchises. Sagged in a middle with the serious stuff, but it is an origin film after all.

Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead

Aussie zombie flick.  Give it a 7/10.  Few laughs, good "use" of zombies :)  Worth a watch!

Captain America Civil War

Solid 8.5 out of 10

Loved it except I am not a fan of spiderman.

He just erks me for some reason

I watched civil war on Saturday night

Loved it, and was not expecting Spider-Man either haha but he was pretty funny

Good movie, well worth seeing at the cinemas

Saw it last night - was good, not as "rock and roll" as some of the others.

Watched it in 3D which I think was a mistake - high speed action scenes seemed to lose a bit of the focus for me - almost as if there were skipped frames :(

Not sure if I've missed a show along the way, but I had no idea who Vision and the girl he was looking after were????

Was a long movie, but quite evenly paced the whole time.

I really dislike 3D hey, not for me. Not because it makes me feel nauseous or anything, but because I think it's kinda pointless and you lose the definition and sharpness of the picture quality. Looking forward to see Civil War this break.

Yeah 3D shine wore off for me and the missus.  You don't notice it's 3D after a while anyway, then you are left with a lower quality image.  Also extra annoying if you have to wear glasses normally like said missus, so end up with 2 pairs on at once.  Also, running back to the car to get them to avoid having to buy an 8th pair!

Saw it last night - was good, not as "rock and roll" as some of the others.

Watched it in 3D which I think was a mistake - high speed action scenes seemed to lose a bit of the focus for me - almost as if there were skipped frames :(

Not sure if I've missed a show along the way, but I had no idea who Vision and the girl he was looking after were????

Was a long movie, but quite evenly paced the whole time.

Avengers 2 introduces both of them

The one with Ultron

Watched Spotlight last night, the film that won Best Picture at the Oscars but isn't really what I'd consider the best of last season (The Revenant probably, but the Academy voting system is an outdated, convoluted mess) that probably only really won for the subject matter. It's about the Boston Globe Spotlight team investigating child molestation by priests of the Catholic Church, and the rabbit hole that leads them down. It's an important subject, and one that I know is a sore spot for some on this forum, but I'm going into the politics of it all.

It's an ensemble cast led by born-again star Michael 'Batman' Keaton, growling his most unconvincing Bawstin accent (in fact, pretty much all Boston accents done by those who aren't actually from there stood out - heck they even mention it in the film), Mark 'The Hulk' Ruffalo shows a new side to his acting we haven't seen (which duly earned him a Best Supporting Actor nom), Rachel 'Mean Girl' McAdams again showing she's a really good, consistent actress (who also got a Best Supporting Oscar nom) who I feel is grossly underrated, and their boss Liev 'Momentary Sabretooth' Schreiber who's understated performance it seems goes disappointingly unnoticed.

Directed by Tom McCarthy, it's by no means a bad film, it's pretty decent, but you get why he was passed over for the Best Director Oscar. It's a safely made film with few flourishes to make his mark known. But considering the material constraint was probably the wise decision and McCarthy intentionally muted his approach. I struggled appreciating the end though. All the way through it's investigate investigate investigate and then when it still feels like more work needs to be done "oh, we're done." It abruptly tied up its loose ends (but still left others unfinished) - but it won Best Original Screenplay anyway. Again, I attribute that to the subject material. It's decent, but not the best.

I'm being harsh, but I really shouldn't and the score certainly won't reflect that.

4/5.

Krampus

Comedy/Fantasy/Horror

"A boy who has a bad Christmas ends up accidentally summoning a Christmas demon to his family home."

Christmas story gone bad, worth a watch!  Rated PG-13 but actually has some pretty freaky bits that I enjoyed.  Do recommend for a laugh.  Not for the little kids though.  Loses points because the characters didn't take it seriously and get their shit together as early as they should have.

7/10

Edited by -Stever-

the last move I talked about in here got me unfairly banned for 40 days so Ill be very careful not to hurt anyones politically correct feelings from now on.

watched this one last night, it was not as good as I was expecting, turned from funny/crass to chick flick,   2.5 out of 5

On 02/05/2016 at 4:00 PM, Pixy Angel said:

x2 for Deadpool watched last night

I thought it was pretty good, I'm a big fan of Ryan Reynolds though.

Loved him in Van Wilder.

On 07/05/2016 at 2:56 PM, stubbietubbie said:

Watched Spotlight last night, the film that won Best Picture at the Oscars but isn't really what I'd consider the best of last season (The Revenant probably, but the Academy voting system is an outdated, convoluted mess) that probably only really won for the subject matter. It's about the Boston Globe Spotlight team investigating child molestation by priests of the Catholic Church, and the rabbit hole that leads them down. It's an important subject, and one that I know is a sore spot for some on this forum, but I'm going into the politics of it all.

It's an ensemble cast led by born-again star Michael 'Batman' Keaton, growling his most unconvincing Bawstin accent (in fact, pretty much all Boston accents done by those who aren't actually from there stood out - heck they even mention it in the film), Mark 'The Hulk' Ruffalo shows a new side to his acting we haven't seen (which duly earned him a Best Supporting Actor nom), Rachel 'Mean Girl' McAdams again showing she's a really good, consistent actress (who also got a Best Supporting Oscar nom) who I feel is grossly underrated, and their boss Liev 'Momentary Sabretooth' Schreiber who's understated performance it seems goes disappointingly unnoticed.

Directed by Tom McCarthy, it's by no means a bad film, it's pretty decent, but you get why he was passed over for the Best Director Oscar. It's a safely made film with few flourishes to make his mark known. But considering the material constraint was probably the wise decision and McCarthy intentionally muted his approach. I struggled appreciating the end though. All the way through it's investigate investigate investigate and then when it still feels like more work needs to be done "oh, we're done." It abruptly tied up its loose ends (but still left others unfinished) - but it won Best Original Screenplay anyway. Again, I attribute that to the subject material. It's decent, but not the best.

I'm being harsh, but I really shouldn't and the score certainly won't reflect that.

4/5.

Watched this with the wife a while ago, we both enjoyed it, agree with the rating

the last move I talked about in here got me unfairly banned for 40 days so Ill be very careful not to hurt anyones politically correct feelings from now on.

watched this one last night, it was not as good as I was expecting, turned from funny/crass to chick flick,   2.5 out of 5

Should get another 40 day ban for your rating scale.

5 hours ago, Kimberley Scott said:

Should get another 40 day ban for your rating scale.

opps, should read 2.5 out of 10

5 hours ago, MattyP said:

The salt is still strong

Was this you by any chance?

Even if not very funny

https://imgur.com/a/Gjcb5

no MattyP, I don't live in the US for a start