6t Or 8s ?

kevo

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 17d
Is this the Harrop kit.

Those are some sad numbers, got a dyno sheet at all. What sort of spark did you throw into it, also did you log the intake temps at all.

Sad? 10psi on a totally stock xr8 right down to the exhaust. Timing wise, we got to around 20degrees at wot before the clutch started failing.. We still havent finished playing with it..

I do have a dyno graph, but I dont have permission to post it at this point.

its a kenne bell for sure.... look up kennebell.com they make the best PD blowers on the market IMHO complete with intra manifold intercoolers etc... very efficient and make great power from under 2000rpm.... that's why the are better on the road than centricfical... which are only good for dyno comps.... :)

all the pricing is the site aswell, the dont retail, wholesale direct... only about $4k to get one here for a boss, plus all the supporting gear etc....

sorry now the word is out.....

nup.. words not out :P

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a kenne bell for sure.... look up kennebell.com they make the best PD blowers on the market IMHO complete with intra manifold intercoolers etc... very efficient and make great power from under 2000rpm.... that's why the are better on the road than centricfical... which are only good for dyno comps.... :)

all the pricing is the site aswell, the dont retail, wholesale direct... only about $4k to get one here for a boss, plus all the supporting gear etc....

sorry now the word is out.....

It wont be a KB kit as BPR buy from them.

You may get a head unit for $4,ooo but that doesn't include a manifold, it's all the little bits and peices that add up.

Sad? 10psi on a totally stock xr8 right down to the exhaust. Timing wise, we got to around 20degrees at wot before the clutch started failing.. We still havent finished playing with it..

I do have a dyno graph, but I dont have permission to post it at this point.

nup.. words not out :P

Power is kinda low considering it's running 1olb's, do you think there's much left in it if you havent finished the tuning.

• Donating Members

Sure.. But in comparison.. Mario says LS1's only get around the 300 mark stock standard..

Mario was quite surprised in the timing the boss was taking compared to the ls1's.. obviously the boss has less comp ratio than the ls1's..

Behind the vehicle on the dyno, you could really tell as the revs went up the exhaust restriction did play a part in choking it..

When he gets the car back and we put a clutch in it, we're gonna continue, and see how more timing it will take.. I some how think we are pretty close to the edge..

However in saying that mario is also throwing a full exhaust system on it also, and I think there is at least a high 300 in it..

• Member For: 17y 1m 27d

of course it adds up... that's performance...

ive spent just over $8k to get my xr6t up to 400rwkw inc clutch, tuning, parts and labour... it would probably cost 'at least' that to get the same from a blown xr8... but if it could be had for around the same money or slightly more, id go for the PD blown V8 as the power delivery is better unlike a turbo car with the lag between manual gear changes or throttle closes...

Sure.. But in comparison.. Mario says LS1's only get around the 300 mark stock standard..

Mario was quite surprised in the timing the boss was taking compared to the ls1's.. obviously the boss has less comp ratio than the ls1's..

Behind the vehicle on the dyno, you could really tell as the revs went up the exhaust restriction did play a part in choking it..

When he gets the car back and we put a clutch in it, we're gonna continue, and see how more timing it will take.. I some how think we are pretty close to the edge..

However in saying that mario is also throwing a full exhaust system on it also, and I think there is at least a high 300 in it..

Bu that's because the Boss heads flow so well, think of it this way. A set of ported LS7 heads flow about 35ocfm, a set of ported Boss heads flow 33ocfm. They do outflow the Boss heads by 2ocfm but the engine is also 1.6L bigger......

Im told that the 29o seems to respond better than the 26o even though it has slightly higher compression, more power on less boost seems to be the key on a DD engine.

What exhaust is he going with, Di FIllippo big bore header's & dual 3" ??

SHould be intresting to see how much power he picks up with the full system, 3orwhp at a minimum if he gets the Di fillippo system.

• Donating Members

One of the capa kits made 302rwkw on 6psi on a 290kw engine.. With full di fillipo exhaust made 345rwkw

But... belt slipping sucked arse bad..

Yeah his going with di fillipo on it.. I think we can get close to 400... the blowers good for it, but is the engine??

He said he even was going put billet oil pump drive in it.. To rev it more.... but rods? Pistons? Both Std. How much can they be pushed stock?

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 2d
I want the ride that is FUN!

plus I love doing burnouts and sliding around the streets

On those comments alone the choice is simple for me... 6T :banghead:

It's already been said that the 8's are to heavy, and that shows, especially when you get into the above driving situations you are talking about.

The 8's sound awesome no doubt! But with your budget you'll get a very fast 6T that will out handle and out brake an 8 IMO.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 2m 19d

I wouldn't touch the Ford V8's with a barge pole - very disappointing engine other than exhaust note and the cars don't handle anywhere near as well. The Commodores might use pushrods but they are bloody effective motors and they are all alloy and very light; even the 7L weighs the same as the 6L which weighs 40kg less than the old 5L

If I was getting a ute I'd get an VE SS and do head cam combo with good exhaust for and easy 400kW. Also the Ford utes are butt ugly another reason to go the VZ/VE.

Flame away.

One of the capa kits made 302rwkw on 6psi on a 290kw engine.. With full di fillipo exhaust made 345rwkw

But... belt slipping sucked arse bad..

Yeah his going with di fillipo on it.. I think we can get close to 400... the blowers good for it, but is the engine??

He said he even was going put billet oil pump drive in it.. To rev it more.... but rods? Pistons? Both Std. How much can they be pushed stock?

I had belt slip issues on my kit when I first had it installed, it spat a belt as one of the spacers was in the wrong spot. I ordered a new belt that was 15mm shorter and never had an issue with it again in over 12 months. I made 377rwkw with a v-2 & full DI Fillippo exhaust, Afr's were 1o.*-1, still had plenty in it.

May go close to 4oorwkw, will be intresting to see. Chris had one of his customer change his zorst from paccie to Di FIllippo & picked up 4orwhp. Engine will survive at 4oorwkw if you keep the limiter as per facotry & it's got a fairly safe tune.

Billet oil pump gears are a good investment but arn't cheap unless the engine is already out, I wouldn't spin the engine past the facotry limiter with std rods. These things like to strecth under tension, boost/compression doesn't phase them. I'm am no expert but this is from everything iv'e seen and from either BPR or shops in the states, they have a 9 year head start on us with these wicked DOHC engines.

• Member For: 16y 11m 12d

Blown Boss all the way... U wont regret it.

Im just about to start the process of going down that

path myself with a Kenne Bell kit and a BF XR8 and I cant wait to hear

when the BELL tolls :levitate:

Edited by fprwpn