Xr6 Twinturbo!

senna_T

Do you think its a good Idea?  

308 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 6d

I voted for a waste of time as there would be no benifit except that it has not been done before (that we know of)

There is no issue with the fact that it cannot be done as anything can be done with enough money.

What you need to work out is what do you ultimately want to achieve ?

Do you want a drag car, track car, show pony or street driveable beast.

A show pony would be the only type of car that would achieve the recognitian that a TT setup would deliver.

All the other setups can be done with out the cost and engineering required to get a propper TT setup going.

While it would be great to see this setup, I would think it would be fiddly, unreliable and inpractical, but go for it if you want.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• KILL,KILL,KILL,DIE,DIE,DIE,
  • Member For: 17y 11m 16d

All I know is that alot of my mates in the JAP car scene with there GTR's ditch the twins for a monster turbo, not sure why but they dont seem to like the twins :roflmbo:

But tellting every one you had a twin turbo would be good :rolleyes:

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 12d

you know it probably has the makings of a magazine cover car, and I've always like the idea of twin turbo set-ups. It could eventually become a drag car, as I have mentioned briefly in another thread, I actually plan on opening my own performance shop with a good friend of mine - be a hell of a demo car!

I voted for a waste of time as there would be no benifit except that it has not been done before (that we know of)

There is no issue with the fact that it cannot be done as anything can be done with enough money.

What you need to work out is what do you ultimately want to achieve ?

Do you want a drag car, track car, show pony or street driveable beast.

A show pony would be the only type of car that would achieve the recognitian that a TT setup would deliver.

All the other setups can be done with out the cost and engineering required to get a propper TT setup going.

While it would be great to see this setup, I would think it would be fiddly, unreliable and inpractical, but go for it if you want.

:rolleyes:

Sorry Pat, I voted waste of time. I feel the money spent in doing so put into what you got keeping it single turbo would yield far better results in all areas. The only exception being that it would be more bling for a show car.

Edited by Fatsex

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members

I should probably ad a little to this, next year I was planning to go a little crazy with the car anyway, change the plenum/intercooler/finish exhaust. I have some friends which will save me 95% of labour costs, I will also do alot of the installation myself, so in that sense I don't think its going to be as expensive as first thought by some people, then again, we won't know until its halfway there will we!

ZAP & Fatsex, I appreciate you stupid waste of time votes, I am after an overall educated opinion :rolleyes:

Woudln't mind if some of the site sponsors made some comments on this also!

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 19d

You will be a pioneer, which will attract a lot of attention, which is what demo cars are all about!

If no one ever thought outside the square, things like fuel injection would never have been born.

People told me that Clevelands cant make good power too....... 528 at the treads soon shuts them up.

I hope it works for you!

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 26d
Sorry, had a customer come in! Thanks for the link Brian, and cheers to gav for the input, but the idea is to keep the 3540's - part of the plan you see. Also, it doesn't have to be tuned to the max from the word go, I want to get the set-up right first, then we can play with power.

The 3540 is a hybrid turbo built for large capacity and low boost; and suit a stock 4litre.

Run 2 of these and you are effectively running each turbo on 2 litres.... I'd reckon that would be a very laggy result.... shorter runner length of manifold would help, but I doubt the volume of air is there to spool it up well.

As a comparison I looked at a GT35 (a smaller turbo) on my 2.5L STi and that was reported as being a laggy drive if I went that way, so I went smaller.

Once you shift the power band up the rev range (say above 4000 revs), you want to shift your max revs to above 7000 to get any usability, then you need a big budget for a very strong engine.

There's nothing worse than a very laggy turbo car, especially after you've spent a heap of money.

I'd recommend smaller turbos.

Brian

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 6d

I would hate to see the plumbing for 2 intercoolers under the already tight bonnet.

You could use 2 x F6 IC's mounted vertically :rolleyes:

If you are planning your own shop, it could put you onto the performance scene with a big HELLO, as it is pioneering and people like that from their workshops.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members

thanks brian, that's the kind of reasoning I need in regrds to the turbos, I'm thinking about maybe HKS 3037 pro S they are a very responsive turbo, and also designed for use on 2.0L to 2.5L engines quite effectively....

The intercooler would be a big single with twin entries similar to HKS's "drag cooler"

there is definately not enough room around the falcon to put twin coolers there!

Edited by senna_T