How Do I Drain My Fuel Tank?

• Member For: 17y 9m 5d

guys I've had a scare with the car misfiring and detonating etc and I'm getting it retuned next week by simon at XFT. I think it's been having some problems for a little while but possibly a bad batch of fuel bought it to my attention. I still have half a tank of this fuel in the car but I can't for the life of me find a drain point.

I want to dump the fuel just in case it was a bad batch and chuck a new tank of 98 in before it gets tuned.

HELP!

Rhys

p.s. it's a ute if that helps

• Member For: 20y 1m 4d

I have a sedan so I dont know about utes, but in a sedan you would have to drop the tank.

You might have to drive like a grandmar untill your almost empty, then fuel up with 98.

Also put a new fuel filter in when you have been running 98.

• TRAITOR
  • Member For: 21y 6m 1d

You could make a drain plug? Drill a hole, thread tap it, and put a threaded plug in it. Then you've got a drain plug. Legalities? Unsure...

Afterthought: Plastic tank, probably not possible to thread it.

Or maybe disconnect your fuel line, stick the fuel line in a container, turn the ignition on. Use the fuel pump to empty it...??

In a sedan I'd simply lift the pump assembly out of the tank, stick a hose in there and either syphon it out, or hook a 12V pump up to it.

Not sure with the ute. You'd have to take the tray liner out, and even then you can't lift the pump assembly out of the tank. You may be able to lift it out enough to stick a hose in there though...?

Just throwing around ideas, I really have no idea. :roflmbo:

Edited by ExAreSix

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 6d

There are several ways:

Remove the tank and drain: Sucks and a lot of work

or

Use the fuelpump to pump it out. Do this by disconnecting the main line from the fuel rail and put it into a suitable container.

or

Get a syphon and suck it out.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 28d

Leave it parked in balga with a piece of garden hose hanging out of the tank and a few empty 2ltr

bottles laying around it'l be bone dry in 15mins,

other wise pump it out with the fuel pump. just dont run the pump dry.

why cant you just dump a bottle of NF104 in it and drive like miss daisy till its empty?

• Member For: 20y 7m 27d

Yeah use the fuel pump, just take out the fuel filter connect a hose & turn car to ON, it's bout 1/2 way down the car just inside the chassis rail, may as well get a new one whilst your at it, if it's bad fuel could have crap in your fuel filter anyways.

• Member For: 17y 9m 5d

yeah I got the filter replaced while it was getting serviced, whats NF104? I was thinking I may aswell just baby it a little bit then fill it up before I get it tuned. it's a good 100km trip to work and there the day I get it tuned.

cheers guys

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 7d
Yeah use the fuel pump, just take out the fuel filter connect a hose & turn car to ON, it's bout 1/2 way down the car just inside the chassis rail, may as well get a new one whilst your at it, if it's bad fuel could have crap in your fuel filter anyways.

Speaking from experience, using the cars fuel pump with the fuel line off doesnt work... Cars in the past would just pump petrol as soon as you flick the ignition switch to reds, but these falcons wont pump fuel until it detects ignition spark... So the only way to get it to pump is by holding the key in the start position... So basically, the battery will be flat by the time you get 1 litre out of it...

Cheers Trent

• Member For: 17y 19d

Trent, seems your experience isnt very extensive......The way we do it at work is to disconnect the supply line, and run a hose into a container, then remove the fuel pump relay and bridge the terminals with a wire, will drain a fuel tank no problems, I do it all the time on AU/BA/BF... we get alot of fuel contamination jobs at the dealer I work at

Edited by XR_Brute