Launch Tactics

senna_T

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 12d

Hey guys, well as my other post states, I'm heading out to WSID for some drag racing, as a quick practice yesterday I tried a launch, on a "private road" of course, basically all I did was dial up about 2300rpm and step off the clutch, surprisingly all I got was a little bit of wheel spin, and then it gripped and went, I'm running Kings SSL rear springs with stock shocks, and maxxis 235/35?/18 tyres at ~34psi. For gear changes I shift 1-2 quickly but let off the accel, then 2-3 I flat changed at 5500rpm, and did the same 3-4, of course with no timing equip I'm not sure how fast it was, but it felt pretty quick and smooth. When I hit WSID I'll have some dunlop sp9000 18's on the back.

What do you guys reckon, I have an extreme clutch, although not very friendly around town, it holds like nothing else!

Some advice or constructive criticism would be appreciated, and I think plenty of other members will find this topic useful :buttrock:

Cheers,

Pat

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 24d

Have you just got a 5 Speed Senna? If so, how does it stack up to the 300+rwkw?

• BACK SLOWER THEN EVER!
  • Member For: 16y 9m 16d

Pat,

Mate back in the old days when I had a 4 speed cortina I would play it by ear, turn the music off, window down listen for the right note then drop it. It took alot of practice shots but in the end I got a great take off.

Nothing like the power now days but I don't think there is no hard and fast rule stating release at 2340rpm and 1/2throttle..

Trial and error, it is what makes and breaks a good drag racer...

Good luck on Wednesday night, I think the hot days and cold nights of sydney are back... last run before daylight savings.

Ozzie

• TEAM BA
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 4m 11d

give it more revs (2800-3000) and slip the clutch out slowly for first... this way you dont bog down and you dont light up the rears. I have been practicing this lately and fug does it launch hard

first I keep at 1/4 throttle, second at 3/4 and third/forth flat to the floor otherwwise it lights up on the street but will probably do it a little different at the track with decent tires

p.s yes I know slipping the clutch is not good for your clutch but if you want a good time then some things have to be sacrificed and rev dumping is not the way to get 1.8T moving quickly.. and dont listen to me because I havent actually run my car yet either :banghead:

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 12d

SCRIBR, as I said, the extreme clutch did crap itself originally, capa sent me a new one and its been ok, just jumpy around town, you can't ride it much.

XRTPSI, I have a T56 :banghead:

Ozzie, thanks mate, I was pretty happy with the launch at 2300, I'll try a few things

XR06T, I'm a little cautious going higher in the rev range while using street tyres, I think a 4k launch will fry tyres!

TOM1111, you either have crap tyres, or the auto stall lets the turbo spool up, where as my manual won't get the turbo boosting

thanks for all the feedback guys, keep adding things to the thread, makes for interesting reading :spoton: