Carputer Project

MrBean

• Member For: 17y 10m 22d

Here you can see the PSU fitted to the rear of the console - it will be hidden inside the structure, there's a cover that goes over it.

psufitted1.jpg

Cooling fan fitted.....

fanswitchcableslot.jpg

a shot from the top, indicating the switch to enable/disable the shutdown controller....

fanfitted1.jpg

and a photo from the bottom, which will be pointing to the "tunnel" of the car.....

fanfitment.jpg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is where I am hiding the Autoenginuity OBD2 interface, behind the instrument cluster, properly secured with cable-ties....

obd2location.jpg

and, allowing me to replace the fusebox cover, a nice 90-deg interface cable ;)

90degreeobd2plug.jpg

of course I still have the Mongoose FEPS interface as well, I will use it in cascade with the Autoenginuity

Then, here is the power plugs, feeding the shutdown controller, and the blue line will be the ignition on/off to the SC controller. The same plug will carry the 12V to the LCD in the fascia. Of course there are receptor sockets in the back of the console to feed the Macmini/SC-controller etc....all hidden very nicely. Will show pics of the completed console a little later.

UTEcables.jpg

Ok, started with the fascia too, forcing a 10.4" LCD into the area where previously there was a 6" unit located - fun, I tell you.

Here is the original spare unit I purchased from ASL Logistics in Melbourne for the princely sum of AUD $80- not bad.

originalfascia.jpg

This is the part I rather nicely removed, as it will house the original factory LCD, and radio-control buttons......relocated to the area that currently houses the tissue-box....

small_lcd_cutout.jpg

and Here is the space that will be required to house the new 10.4" LCD - nice, and big, but not overpowering....

cutout.jpg

I have stripped the LCD, now I can start fitting the thing, finally - whew...

Anyway, a few more pics as promissed -

Here you can see the rear slot through which the cables will connect to the MacMini

macminiports.jpg

Here's a bottom shot, indicating how the wiring was done, relay location etc....

fanbottom2.jpg

and another 1, showing bottom wiring to switch mounted in the console....

fanbottom1.jpg

Here's a rearward view of the connectors....

rearplugs.jpg

and this is what it looks like with the console lid on....all hidden very nicely, out of the way, in a very practical location :)

rearplugshidden.jpg

Here's the mounting base I am doing for the LCD, made out of angle-aluminium, the screen at the bottom will be 30mm in from the face of the bezel, while the top will be close to flush, with a 5-7mm lip.....this way it will sit at a very much similar angle to the original LCD...

mountingbase.jpg

And here is an angular shot from the topside, showing what the screen would look like in the cut-out - this is the beginning stages of the mounting only, lots of work to do.

screentestfit1-1.jpg

I need to find some solvent that will dissolve a thermo plastic, PPE/PPO (Poly-Phenyline Oxide)

The screen will be sitting in an aluminium frame, the base in the 2nd last pic the beginning phase of that frame, while there will be an aluminium backplate from bottom to top of the LCD, on which all the electrnics will mount ;)

I want a very sturdy, indestructable LCD mount....

Update:

I have mounted the 10.4" LCD to the factory Ford Fascia (Bezel), and one of my aims was to properly secure it - not with hot-glue or anything such. I got hold of some angled-aluminium, and after cutting, filing, bending, came up with something that is indestructible - at least you will have to rip the bezel apart before the aluminium will let go ;)

lcdrear.jpg

and an angled shot

lcdrearright.jpg

I made some progress on the front too, this is just the beginning phases, using balsa-wood to buildup new sides/top/bottom, I will use a special plastic putty to fill up any gaps and voids, and blend it in proper, before repainting the setup - it looks rather nice, in real life better than on pics...but you'll get the idea....

Bottom

bezelbottom.jpg

Left-hand side

bezelleft.jpg

Right-hand side

bezelright.jpg

and top of the bezel

bezeltop.jpg

Finally 2 pics giving an idea of what booted setup will look like.....

bezelfull2.jpg

and with Centrafuse front-end running...

bezelfull.jpg

Let me know what you think, this is the first Aussie Ford Falcon setup with this amount of hacking involved - I think the largest displays anyone fitted was 7.5" - the 10.4" looks so much better in real life, I cannot even compare either my 7" Xenarc or the Dynamix 8" to the real estate of this one

I decided to mod the top part of the new frame, and the semi-finished product looks like this:

newtop.jpg

I got rid of the beveled-edge for the top, and chose to go the same route the original was at the top, it looks much better imho.

Here's a bad-quality full-view of the unit...

front1.jpg

Progress is slow, but consistent - I am nearly at the point where I can do the final touches to the front of the fascia.....

First on the agenda though, was to mount the electronics of the screen somehow - well, I was not going to be happy to have pcb's wrapped in tape or whatever, and let them hanging somewhere, so a better plan had to be made.

I measured/cut/filed a piece of aluminium, and made a backplate, that bolts to the rear of the mounting brackets of the LCD in the fascia, and all bolts very nicely together - the added benefit of the backplate provides stiffness to the whole setup, making it a lot stronger than even the factory original :)

Anyway, here's a pic from the left rear - as viewed from passenger side....

pcbrightside.jpg

and here is one, with the power-button pcb connected - I will relocate some of the buttons on this board, eg "Power" and "Menu" so that they are "available" if needed.

pcbleftside.jpg

Well, I am really happy with the end result, nice, compact and tight, and very sturdy....couldn't ask for more - I am really glad I decided to opt for the in-dash mounted solution, and going with the 10.4" screen.....

Feedback is welcome - this is where I am for now, gotta take the Wife to the hairdresser. I will post more progress pics over the next week or 2, when I'm hoping to complete this setup.

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 4m 15d

Lurvin it!! :buttonit::spoton:

Sorry to SCRIBR and wados for deleting there post's, I knew MrBean had a bit more to go before he finished and it makes it easier to follow if its all together.