Carputer Project

MrBean

• Member For: 17y 10m 22d

I have a few options, mounting the MacMini here....in the area that used to be occupied by the cupholders....

macmini_console_2.jpg

What I will do though, as the width is a perfect fit....I will drop the Mini in such that it sits level with the sill of the console....excuse my l77t photoshop skillzzzz.....but you get the idea.....

macmini_console_2_modded.jpg

a shot from the top to show how it would look, just imagine the slot-side dropping in a few centimeters, so the mini would be level as shown above....

macmini_console_3.jpg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem with that location is that I will have to open the cd-holder's lid to insert/remove dvd's/cd's from the MacMini - not that I will be doing it often, as I rarely watch DVD's, and all my music will either be on the MacMini's HD, or playing via the Apple 8gig iPod....

So, I have another location, which I might go for for 2 reasons.....firstly, stealth....

I can mount the MacMini inside the cd-holder area, which means it will be hidden from view, as the lid will be closed, effectively hiding it from view - I can then mod a slot to the front of this area, just on level with the original cupholders, and insert cd/dvd's from here, which makes it very practical.....see pic....

macmini_console_1.jpg

So the idea is that I mod the Mini to "submerge" into this space, like shown below....

macmini_console_1_modded.jpg

The second benefit would be that I can then mount my new SpaceTraveler input device in the area that was occuoied by the cupholders before, possible custom manufacturing something out of real CarbonFiber, and enhance some of the cabin plastics with one of the decent CF-kits available for these cars....

Should look very nice.....

But, that is all dependant on the very 1st option, if the MacMini can't fit below the original ICC/Radio unit

a small update, and a nice bit of progress....

Remember this:

macmini_console_1.jpg

Well, I had to go and see how it would look once the MacMini was fitted (submerged) into this area, so, out came the dremel, and a hour or so later......

macmini_console1.jpg

macmini_console2.jpg

It sits flush with the top of the console, so the lid can close proper, and thus effectively making a full stealth install of the CarPuter.

macmini_console3.jpg

In the next shot you can see a slight problem though....how to load/eject DVD/CD's from the MacMini.

Soz, the photo is not that clear, the top of the Mini is sitting flush with the top of the console, so effectively the slotload drive is below the surface of the console.

macmini_console4.jpg

At this angle from above it is not that obvious, it appears as if the slot is protruding, allowing easy access, which is not the case.

Well, to make a short story long :) , I have decided to design an eject mechanism for the MacMini - most likely fully motorised.....I am seriously considering this move, but it may or may not happen.

Just imagine a normal cd jewelbox, with a hinge on the one side, that is how the MAcMini would be sitting on a tray, hinged on a trayplate, at the rear....

The front would be able to lift up and down, either via a screwfeed, or maybe a linear motor, to drive it up and down, like a clamshell opening/closing - this would allow me to raise the front 1/2 of the Mini, exposing the slotloader, and then push another button, lower it again.

Good idea I think, and would be quite easy to implement - I know exactly what I want to do, and how I am going to do it - ideas/feedback would be appreciated though.

edit:Just another bit of info: This area would also house the Carnetix P2140 controller, an USB hub, and a few small odds and ends, such as 2x 120mm Scythe Silent fans, etc.....

Got a bit more done, adjusting the cutouts to accommodate the rubber-beading (u-channel) and keeping the MacMini not to cosy and tight, as I still want to fabricate (maybe) a linear actuator to jack the front of the Mini up approx 1", to allow me to mount/dismount DVD's.

Anyway, that's still something in the pipeline, which will happen soon, as I have placed the order for the FusionBrain to enable me to control this linear actuator, as well as the temperature inside the console to keep the Mini happy and not to warm.

Thanx to Tim and Nick for their superb service, it ia appreciated, Guys.

Anyway, as mentioned, I fitted the rubber-beading to better round off the edges on the ABS plastic, I still need to clean up a little - secured it in place with that old favorite, superglue.

Here a few shots of the unit with the lid closed....

mini6.jpg

mini8.jpg

mini7.jpg

and here a few shots of the Mini, with the console lid open:

mini2.jpg

mini1.jpg

and here you can see the u-channel beading a little more clear, the Mni fits cosy, but not overly tight:

mini5.jpg

Well, there's a lot of space below the Mini, so I have decided to mount a few extras in there - to keep wiring simplified, and neat, the Carnetix P2140 would go in there, as well as push-pull 120mm fan configuration on either side of the enclosure, if they will fit. Otherwise 2x80mm units will do, spinning at a lowly 5V, the speed of which will be controlled by the FusionBrain unit measuring exhaust temp on the Mini.

So, the console will house the complete setup, other than the LCD, and I hope to make it nice and neat, so I won't feel ashamed of opening the lid to showcase the unit

My new 10.4" screen turned up, and I am really surprised by the absolute clarity of this 10.4" screen - this Samsung panel looks amazing!

Wow.....and so much more real-estate than the puny 7" and 8" I were going to use - I am glad I opted to buy this, as it looks sweet :flowers:

Well, here is a few sreenshots, but suffice it to say, the camera cannot capture the quality.

Centrafuse Main display, showing 6 of 16 application-shortcuts I have in use - scrollling left or right via mouse, or touchscreen, or using Voice-command, I can select the others.

cf_main.jpg

Then, a shot of my GPS, showing my the street where I live in Melbourne:

cf_gps.jpg

One of my mobile phone contacts list - you can also observe, in the top right-hand corner, the green button showing connection to phone, as well as the blue bars, which represents signal strength, and finally my prode and joy, just left of the signal stregth, the little icon that looks like a headset - as mentioned earlier, this Carputer now also acts as a full audio gateway, meaning I can talk throught the car stereo, and a mic, via the carputer, and utilize it as a handsfree setup for my mobile :) Nice feature to have working......

cf_phone.jpg

And, lastly, a screenshot showing current weather conditions at the main Tullamarine Airport, approx 20km away from where I live.

cf_weather.jpg

There's also displays for internet, my OBD-II applications, and a few others, but you get the idea....

Remeber this?

Auto_ICC_new_lcd.jpg

to replace the old Manual MCC witch my UTE came with (and no option for an upgrade)

Manual_ICC.jpg

and now it looksd like this - quite an improvement, even if I say so myself - just looks more rounded...

dz_fitted_day.jpg

Well, to go to the next stage of my Carputer installation, I had to get a 2nd bezel, which I picked up from ASL in Lynbrook, Victoria - thanx Fadi :)

new_icc_bezel.jpg

I will remove the factory LCD, with buttons:

new_icc_bezel_original_lcd.jpg

and install it immediately below the ICC, where I earlier considered mounting the MacMini, but which was since relocated to the cd-onsole:

macmini_pos1.jpg

and then, this area I will have to remove, and fabricate my new 10.4" LCD in - area indicated is the approximate viewable size of the LCD :)

Nice and big, but not overly so.....just the what the doctor ordered.

new_icc_bezel_lcd.jpg