Carputer Project

MrBean

• Member For: 17y 10m 22d

Hello Everyone,

I have posted this elsewhere, but maybe a good idea to do a log on an all-Ozzie website, maybe someone with BF/BA Falcons can use some of my ideas.

Goals:

1) Most important is the factory look! The mod must/will not detract from original factory looks...

2) Powerful system, doing multitasking without ANY hickups.

3) Deadreckoning GPS system, using Gyro and GPS input (this might not happen though)

4) Capacity to play MP3's, DVD's

5) Internet Wireless connectivity.

6) Infrared (IR) control of computer

7) On/Off activation either manually, or selectively ignition controlled

8) OBD-II (onboard diagnostics) display and logging of variables.

9) Quiet operation, minimizing powerdrain.

10) High-quality Touchscreen - 5-wire resistive or capacitive.

11) Afterthought - I want to add a GSM modem/phone setup, which will be housed in the same carputer enclosure, so if I dial the simcard number, it will start relaying GPS NMEA strings - in other words, positional data, from the GPS, via sms messages, to my cellphone - or something similar - will need to think about this one a little.

So, as you all can see, the goals above will determine plenty much what components I select for this Project, as I have realized early on although a Via Epia "may" work, it will not do so to satisfy my unique requirements.

I need a machine that can multitask, and do so without effort!

a Few pictures to follow.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The candidate - these are pics when I first got the car from Etheridge Ford in Vermont, Vic, nowadays it has Nizpro Stage 2 Plus with 370rwkw.

angle1.jpg

front1.jpg

Edited by MrBean

Bought a 2nd hand ICC from someone on the forum, and tested it at ASL - thanx FADI...I must admit, people can go and learn a lot wrt Customer Service levels from Fadi - thanx Mate, great Service!

Just as a reminder, this is what the UTE came fitted with from the factory, manual aircon control unit, monocolor LCD, nothing fancy.....

Manual_ICC.jpg

So, I fitted the new unit, this is what it looks like in daytime:

dz_fitted_day.jpg

and then, in nightime, it inverts LCD background to take strain away from your eyes while driving:

dz_fitted_night.jpg

a Big upgrqade, one that would now allow me to mount my carputer, and display that info on the TFT LCD in the new ICC, something which enables me to keep that "Factory" look - but maybe I will do something different here, as the display quality of the factory LCD is not that great, plus it is on the small side...

Well, everything working, except aircon system - will need to take the UTE to Ford tomorrow, to flash "high-level" HIM (Hvac Interface Module) software, to enable new control unit to correctly operate aircon and ventilation system, pump, vents, etc.

Edited by MrBean

As mentioned, one of my early objectives were to keep the fitting of the Carputer as factory-looking as possible, and with that idea in mind, I had to properly route powercables etc...

I am using 12gauge cables for the Carputer, even though the current-draw from the system would only be totalling 10A max of my 12V rail, I would still like to over-engineer a little in this department, as I would not like undersized cabling giving me problems later.

With that in mind, I found a spare "plug" close to my brake master cylinder, allowing me a pass-through from the engine compartment into the passenger compartment.

Here you can see it next to the master cylinder....

firewall_close.jpg

And here is a shot from next to the brake-pedal (footwell) on the inside.....

firewall_inside.jpg

It will be properly routed and secured on the inside with a proper power-distribution block, similar to the ones the audiophiles use to tap off power for their amps....

Here you can see how I routed the cables over the brakebooster, inside the split-loom - 10mm x 2m tubing obtained from Jaycar.

cable_routing2.jpg

And a close-up of the same, using saddles and cableties to secure the split-loom.

cable_routing1.jpg

Here is how I routed the split-loom/cables into the fusebox.......see where I mounted the earth wire.....properly soldered into the correct 12-gauge lug, and secured with a bolt to the vehicle chassis - I checked resistance from this point to the std vehicle earth points, as well as to the battery negative, and the resistance is 0.1 ohms - good quality grounding :)

fusebox_rear.jpg

Here is another angle of the wiring, and the circles would indicate where the positive would be connected to - I will check my w/shhop manuals to see which of the 2 points are the best, but both seems to originate directly from the battery + pole. I may use the one with the least current-drain on based on info in the manuals.

fusebox_front.jpg

Here is a last shot, showing with the water reservoir bolted down again, and the fusebox lid secured - you can hardly see that there is 2 new beefy 12-gauge cables running into the cabin.....

cablerun_enginebay_complete.jpg

And in this area here is where the Carputer will be located - or maybe not, let's see where the best location is....

carputer_mounting_location.jpg

Can hardly wait.

On a recent trip to Bangkok, I decided to pick up a Mac Mini, Core-Duo setup, 1.83gig, well, quite nifty for a Carputer.

The next few posts will be a temporary installation only, a new location to be decided later on in the project.....

Here I have made the cutout in my Cubby, and glued a support brace in place, which will prevent the Mini from slipping back:

mini_cutout.jpg

Testfit of the Puter....

temp_fitting_front.jpg

and from behind....

temp_fitting_rear.jpg

Looking cosy in there, nice and level ;)

Mounting the new VGA-CGA converter to drive the Ford stock color LCD screen, tested, and works like a charm....except for not-so-good display quality from Factory LCD, as I suspected would be the case....

vga_cga_converter_close.jpg

And here is a close up of the Mini from behind, power- and on-control from the Carnetix fitted....

fitting_rear_mini.jpg

and a shot of the complete assembly from behind....

fitting_rear_complete.jpg

and lastly, from the front....

fitting_front_complete.jpg

Just done a quick test of the unit in the UTE, works like a dream, shutdown controller functioning as claimed, all that remains now is routing of ignition control wire, and connection of LCD cable.

Nice and stealthy, and if you do not open the Cubby, you won't know there is a very powerful and capable little computer fitted in there.

I am not happy with the result from the stock Ford ICC LCD display, and yes, being able to use that would have made matters very easy, but the text quality is just to bad.

Using OBD tools, browsing the net to d/l updates etc is next to impossible, so I decided to temporary mount the Xenarc LCD in a convenient location.

Why temporary mount only? Well, it will be removed at a later point in time, when my dash is complete - I decided to embark on a project to built a complete TFT LCD-based dashboard, running of WinCE port on a Industrial based mainboard, eg Commell LV-677.

RPM and Speed will be dispalyed on there own LCD's, with a 3rd doing temp, oil press and turbo boost, as well as fuel level.

Anyway, that's a project on it's own, so here is what I did to fit the Xenarc.

Here is the standard Xenarc display stand:

Xenarc_stand_screw_not_removed.jpg

remove the little screw in the head, like this......

Xenarc_stand_screw_removed.jpg

and purchase a Nokia universal carmount kit.........on the left....

nokia_xenarc_stands.jpg

and fit the little screw in there...

nokia_bracket_screw_fitted.jpg

and onto the back of the Xenarc LCD.....

nokia_bracket_fitted_to_screen_2.jpg

and here.....

nokia_bracket_fitted_to_screen.jpg

then mount the base of the Nokia stand in the UTE like this....take note that the original Nokia base had 4 holes, I removed the one to make it fit in a bit better from an aesthetics viewpoint....

base_fitted_airvent.jpg

and another angle.....

base_fitted_airvent_2.jpg

then bolt the 2 together.....

screen_fitted_3.jpg

Making for a very easy to adjust, secure, vibration-free and safe/easy to read LCD.....

screen_fitted_1.jpg

another one.....

screen_fitted_2.jpg

Now to run the wiring to the MacMini located in the glovebox, then it's done :)

Well, I did not feel doing an indash mount of this LCD (yet, it may still happen though), as the next phase of the project will house another onboard computer/lcd setup in the original Instrument cluster.

PC have been working on the in-car ICC LCD, everything ready, just need rewire the Carnetix P1900 PSU 12V rail to the Xenarc, and connect the VGA cable

Ok, finalized the LCD installation. Removed my Intrument Cluster and ICC to properly route all the cables, power to LCD, usb and signal to LCD, and the OBD-II usb cable.

Came out very nice, no hich-ups, and the screen works as expected. I powered the screen from the Carnetix P1900 Secondary Output, and all the noise on the LCD is gone - I had a similar issue with "noise" on the ICC LCD, and this is definately from the raw 12V (13.80V) from the battery, probably the alternator causing some ripple, picked up by the LCD.

Anyway, here's a few shots from the driver's view, some with flash, others without, as it was getting dark outside.

Instrument Cluster view......

instrumentcluster1.jpg

LCD view, slightly off-center from Instrument Cluster...

dash_lcd2.jpg

and another one with camera flash on....

dash_lcd3.jpg

and a little further away, to give you a better perspective of how the LCD blends in" with the Instrument Cluster - I like it, very practical, easy to replace, do maintenance on, whatever, no bondo cracking etc....

dash_lcd.jpg

ICC view, with stock Ford LCD.....

icc.jpg

and here's a close-up of some datapoints I was reading on the OBD-interface to test functionality.....with the advanced Ford s/ware pack I bought from Autoenginuity, I can read a couple 100 sensors ;)

obd_closeup_lcd.jpg

As mentioned a while ago, fitting the MacMini and Carnetix to the Glovebox was just a temporary measure, for testing hardware, ease of insert/removal making software adjustments, etc....see pic below.....

fitting_front_complete.jpg

fitting_rear_complete.jpg

Well, I have decided to relocate the MacMini to a more permanent home, but where.....this area immediately below the ICC/Radio unit seems to be a good candidate....here I have some sidecovers removed to be able to remove the Console from the UTE....

macmini_pos1.jpg

So the Mini would fit perfectly in this area....or maybe not, will have to measure up a little....

macmini_pos3.jpg

and here....

macmini_pos4.jpg

I spotted this hiding behind in the dark recesses of the innermost areas of my car....so scrap the idea of fitting the Macmini in there...

macmini_pos2_bracket.jpg

This little bracket, which is held in place by a bolt, could probably be removed - I have a feeling though it forms part of the support for the ICC backplane, and/or HVAC unit....will check it out on the weekend when I remove the ICC to see where it goes.

Would be nice if it can go here, with a custom fascia manufactured to hide the MacMini, with just s lit for the slotload DVD Multi-burner....the problem with this little bracket is that there is a DVI-I converter that plugs to the back of the Mini, and when the plug is inserted, the Mini protrudes on the front, making it stand out, making a smooth transition from the ICC to the Gear selector panel impossible....

Sort of a pimple on an otherwise pretty Girl's face....

So, as a precautionary measure, incase I cannot remove the bracket, I removed the Console, to look at alternatives.....

Here is a few pics of the console, again more for the benefit of any Ozzies who wants to do something similar to their Falcon BA/BF UTE/Sedans....

From the rear, where I will fit a nice, quiet 120mm 12V Pabst or similar computer fan to allow decent airflow...

console_5_fan.jpg

Top-front view...

console_4.jpg

Side view, lid open....

console_3.jpg

and the same, with the CD-holder lid closed....

console_2.jpg