Stone Chips

Robbo

• Powered by Ford's 3.7 V6 = Zoom Zoom Zoom!
  • Member For: 19y 5m 20d

All the above is good advice :fear (5):

I find the brush too hard to use, so I always use a toothpick to drop the paint in.

Works for me!

• Member For: 17y 1m 9d

Dunno what it's called but I have a thin clear plastic film (like clear duraseal or something) on the front of mine. It is only noticeable if looking very closely and has stopped all but one stone from chipping the paint, and my car has done 80,000km.

A few mates have since had it applied to their cars and haven't looked back. So long as it's applied properly, you don't notice it's there.

Heaps better than the time and effort involved in touch-ups or re-spraying.

• Member For: 20y 7m 27d
Dunno what it's called but I have a thin clear plastic film (like clear duraseal or something) on the front of mine. It is only noticeable if looking very closely and has stopped all but one stone from chipping the paint, and my car has done 80,000km.

A few mates have since had it applied to their cars and haven't looked back. So long as it's applied properly, you don't notice it's there.

Heaps better than the time and effort involved in touch-ups or re-spraying.

Good call I remebr looking into this a couple of years ago, unsure who does it in Oz but heres a link to some info - 3M protector film

• Member For: 20y 8m 28d

There is also another brand called VentureShield.

With regard to touch up paints, I did some experimentation on my bumper on the weekend. I have three different touch up paint bottles and found that the thinner version was the easiest to apply and layer. I think it may be because the thinners evaporate from the coat applied and it sucks down onto the surface, leaving room for another coat. It appears very difficult to apply too much. Finish off with a cut, polish and wax and with a bit more practice you wouldn't know it was there.

I have also looked into the Ventureshield and it would be $700 for a Ford Focus bumper and bonnet pack (no lights, mirrors, etc)

• Gold Platinum Member
  • Member For: 19y 9m 25d

When my brother threw a stone at my wing and it made a small chip I used the ford envi color touch up paint. It is ok but I can still tell that its not the same.

• Member For: 17y 1m 11d

so is the the 3m clear protector worth it? how much does it cost for the front bumper to be wrapped? how do u go about polishing the car? u wouldn't polish the plastic would you? so how does it look in comparison with the rest of the car?