New Member Looking At Purchasing An Xr6t

CrazyNuts

• Member For: 16y 7m 19d

Hi Everyone...My name is Krys (yes I'm a bloke) and I just joined today. :spoton: I'm from Perth WA.

I am looking at purchasing a BA-BF XR6T for a max of $25,000. The questions I have are as follows.

- What year/model can I buy for that kind of money

- I want to go with a manual but I hear reports that the auto is better (not better for burnouts though :))

- What can I expect to go wrong?

- What should I look out for when buying one?

- How well do these cars retain their value?

- How safe are these cars in the event of an accident?

- What is the real world fuel consuption like?

- What mods can I put on the car for about $5000 and what KW will I get in return. How much more fuel will I use?

- What is the handling like?

Some info from owners wold be appreciated.

Currently I own a 1989 BMW 535i AUTO. It's a great car but it's coming on to 300,000km's and it's getting a bit long in the tooth for my liking and this time round I am going to get a local car mainly due to cost of parts, servicing and part availability. I've never been a fan of Ford or Expensive Daewoo as I love my euro cards but the XR6 has definitely got my attention hence why I'm here :)

Thanks for your help everyone

• Member For: 16y 7m 28d

I just bought my xr6t ba mark 2

set me back $25000

its a nov 2004 with 60000km's on it

the auto does burnouts just fine

at this age all the big dollars have been lost by the previous owner

my stockie gets 550km's to a 68l tank of gas country

400km's city with alot of fun(dont know what it would be like off boost as I like stick my boot into her often)

for $5000 in mods, if you spend wisely you will have a real weapon.

mine handles like its on rails till you break traction then its all smiles

• Well-Hard Bangin' Member
  • Member For: 16y 8m 3d

Hey Krys, and :shocked:

got my '04 BA MKII T with 53k on it and 19" Typhoon rims/tyres.

As you'll read with most of the posts here, the manual box can suffer if you're looking at creating a spawn of satan ($5k will easy see you on your way too).

my T is completely and utterly stock (except for rims/tyres), and it lights up just fine mate, TCS off and all hell will break loose!

Problems I've encountered so far is brake shudder (search the posts re this) and a small clicking when turning the steering wheel (both soon to be fixed)

I guess look out for things like it not being an ex-police run-about (often some screwholes in the passenger side next to your right knee or where the rear air vents are), signs off thrashing (like mashed rubber on the upper wheel arches etc), also cheap attempts at upgrades would be a bummer

I'm getting similar fuel consumtion as coupeboy351, and am also very impressed with the handling; took a trip down to busselton over the weekend and it was like a roller coaster. a quick push on the loud pedal and 200 km/h sprung up a few times (on my private bypass down there of course).

from reading the posts on here, and absolute MUST for upgrades is to go see the mad-scientist Simon @ Xtreme for a custom tune (only wish I had that kind of cash to throw into mods!!)

Good to have you aboard Krys, hope to see more posts when you get your T.

Dan

PS; where in Perth are you?

Thanks for your replies guys. Really appreciate it.

What causes the ticking when turning? I Witness that on a lot of falcons (expecially taxi's as I catch so many of them)

I live in Yokine. I can basically smell the HJ's that is on the corner of Wanneroo Rd and Flidners St :)

I will definitely be seeing Simon from Xtreme when I get my car.

Just got to convinve the Mr's to get this car. Due to Ford's bad reputation with previous cars she absolutely HATES them. Doesn't help when she has been in the luxury of a beema for the last 18 months.

Hopefully I can convinve her....you guys got any recommendations? ;)

Hopefully no one will take offence to this, but I am glad to see that you guys seems to be extreemely level headed. No "bogan" type of attitude that I see on many other forums. It's very refreshing to se.

P.S. I've spent a good 7 hours of solid browsing through this site for common issues. So far I've found out that there is issues with

Turbo (oil cloggin up in the pipe)

Bottom end strength (not sure how this was rectified in the BF)

Weak manual transmision

Shimmy (crap disks obviously)

Popping or Banging noise when taking off (sounded like it was inside the cabin. What was the resolution for this?)

Ticking noise when turning (not sure what the solution for this is either)

Appart from those, I haven't heard of many other issues. Half of which I assume would be sorted under warranty.

What other items should I look for that have to be changed immediately under warranty?

Thanks again

Krys

• Member For: 18y 9m 11d

Hopefully I can convinve her....you guys got any recommendations? ;)

Growl her out and then tell her, she should be more receptive to your needs. :spoton:

With manual's, don't touch a 5 speed, the 6 speed is coping plenty of punishment from others on here, the only thing is you will need to replace the factory clutch with something decent once you upgrade, but the same goes for the auto, they too need a few mods once you wind her up.

Make sure you get Premium Sound, colour screen and sub on the rear parcel shelf. It is no mind blowing sound system, but many people have regretted not ticking that option box after their purchase.

Well...unfortuntately the mrs is the one that's going to be driving the car 70% of the time :(

We won't be buying one for at least another 6 months (got a wedding to go through first) Once that is over we will look at buy a XR6 (if I can convince the mrs)

We will only be buying second hand so the likely hood of us finding one that is a 2004 BF with 6 speed manual and premium sound/leath for under $26,000 seems like a bit of a big ask. But then again....never know what will happen closer to "End of Financial Year" sale :)

is this a buy of the century or a scam?

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/priva...N&Make=FORD

EDIT: Gave them a call. Seems like someone is playing a joke on these ppl. They aren't selling a car. Damn :(

Edited by CrazyNuts

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 28d

Looks like a type-o, but I would be giving him a call, hell I think I will give him a call.

• Member For: 19y 4m 7d

For $5000 bucks in mods, you will have a very fast car. You will see well over 300KW at the rears with that cash. Best to spend some of it on stopping it once it's got goin' =)

But how reliable will the engine and driveline be?

I'm assuming I would need to strengthen the gearbox and clutch?

Would someone be willing to list a set of mods I should go for and how much they cost please? Just want to get my head arround what is required to get 300RWKW.

Thanks

Krys