Custom Edit For Stock Xr6t?

hanra

• Into the laaaake
  • Member For: 16y 10m 9d

I have an 03 XR6T Ute auto. Its stock except for K&N air filter. Ive been quoted $330 to get a custom tune from a mob up here in Cairns. The only reason I was considering getting a custom tune is simply because im not sure if the generic tune would be safe to run with?

I see that KPM automotive have the CAPA flasher for $595.

Does $330 sound like a normal price? Would they improve on the generic tune by much at all?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 19y 4m 7d

Consider it as insurance if nothing else.

The car will only go harder with a Custom Tune, and you can then feel safer knowing it aint gunna blow up on you when you bury the right foot.

• Member For: 19y 6m 12d

Yeah $330 is cheap. Just make sure your not getting what you pay for. A custom tune can be way more dangerous than a generic tune if your tuner doesn't know what they're doing!

Just pick one of the reputable tuners from the sponsors section and you won't go wrong.

Chris :spoton:

• Into the laaaake
  • Member For: 16y 10m 9d
Just pick one of the reputable tuners from the sponsors section and you won't go wrong.

Chris :spoton:

that's a little bit hard to do when im at the pointy end of the country. The company who quoted me that price have done quite a few XR6T's. They are actually a CAPA dealer.

• 7 months later...
  • rob327
  • Member For: 16y 1m 10d

can you get a tune without buying a flash tuner?

I dont really need the ability to switch between tunes... just something custom and I'd be happy.. especially for the $300-$400 mark

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 16y 4m 9d

Who quoted you $330 in Cairns mate? I have the three generic tunes (6,8 & 10psi) on the CAPA tuner and while it did increase the overall HP, it's caused other problems, e.g. small backfires (even with regapped plugs) and launching hard out of corners can sometimes bring the car to a standstill. I run it on 10psi now but desperately want to get a new custom tune at around 15 - 18 psi (depending on what the tuner suggests is safe with my current setup) and hopefully eliminate the generic tune issues. If I can get a couple of new tunes for $330 a piece I'll jump on it.

• Member For: 17y 3m 27d
Who quoted you $330 in Cairns mate? I have the three generic tunes (6,8 & 10psi) on the CAPA tuner and while it did increase the overall HP, it's caused other problems, e.g. small backfires (even with regapped plugs) and launching hard out of corners can sometimes bring the car to a standstill. I run it on 10psi now but desperately want to get a new custom tune at around 15 - 18 psi (depending on what the tuner suggests is safe with my current setup) and hopefully eliminate the generic tune issues. If I can get a couple of new tunes for $330 a piece I'll jump on it.

A custom tune for $330 ? You should book it in before he reads this thread.

Castro7, yes you do need a flash box to get a custom tune as the flash box is vin-locked to your car, you need one to load up the tune to the car, you also need it to flash the factory tune in as necessary.

Custom tune is DEFINITELY a good idea.

• Slippery when dry
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m 11d

I bought my flash tune box from A.C.E (one of the last ones he sent)

It just sits in the cupboard collecting dust for the last 6months or longer,even though I would love to have some fun with it but I am taking the advice of most forum members and waiting for my custom tune to be done (hopefully in a few weeks time) so I have piece of mind knowing that the engine is safe... its been a long wait..XFT here I come

My two cents..