Car Computer

Adam

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 3d

I should also point out that all the wiring including making the ICC video lead and all of the install was done by myself.

I'm certainly no computer or electronics expert but I've got a bit of knowledge (which is dangerous sometimes) so anyone is quite capable of doing this themselves with a bit of advice and info from the right sources, and of course some spare time. I actually took Thursday and Friday off work so I could get stuck into installing all of this. Planning out where all the wiring and hardware will go takes a fair bit of time. It's also hard when you only have the weekends to work on it but need your car to be in a driveable state come Monday morning. It limits what you can do. But like most things it would be so much quicker and easier to do after the first time.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold Platinum Member
  • Member For: 19y 9m 3d

Great effort Adam. Not all that different to mine EXCEPT for the power supply means AND the VGA converter (as opposed to software conversion).

Hows XP go on the mac to tranny haha :P Glad you didn't go for vista :tonguepoke: I HATE VISTA!

Any way that's a comprehensive write-up well done. I would be interested to know how much you paid for centrafuse and also what the GPS part of it is like as I may buy it. Maybe I could see it some time?

• Lifetime Members

I like Vista, I have it on my PC but it uses alot more resources than XP. XP is all that was needed for this application.

XP running on the Mac via Boot Camp works perfectly, which is cool since Boot Camp is still a Beta release until OS X Leopard turns up.

Centrafuse is $275US for the Australian version. The SatNav uses Destinator maps which only Centrafuse has this version of at this point in time. There is also the ability to load in other maps. The operation of it is great! I used it to go to Melb and back on Friday and also a bit around town just to test it out. The one thing that isn't in it is the new Craigeburn bypass. I would expect that to be in the next update. A good receiver is also a must and I think I got arguably the best on the market for this application.

I'm going up to Canberra on the 10th of September and back later that week. I can drop in and show you if you like?

• Member For: 17y 10m 23d

Good going, Adam, glad you got it all sorted ;)

Just one thing you may want to do though - install a relay on ther main-supply to the Carnetix, with a switch to power it on/off - for thos eperiods your car will be sitting for a week or longer, the Carnetix will drain the battery.

Trust me, I have been there ;)

So, basically the ign will still shut the Carnetix on/off, provided the relay on the mains is energized. Realy off, Carnetix don't power up.....easy solution.

• Lifetime Members

Thanks for the tip Phillip!

That will actually be really easy as I still have the relay in place from when I tried the inverter.

I'll just use the ACC trigger wire for the CarNetix's to also trigger the relay. Easy!

Where did you get the CarNetix CNX-P2140 and how much if I may ask.

From here... MP3Car.com: Carnetix CNX-P2140 185W Dual Output Intelligent DC-DC Regulator

• <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 4m 20d

Is that because the PC's use the standby voltage even though the computer and the ignition are still turned off?

Dont these power supplies have a thing which shuts them down when the battery voltage drops below like 11 Volts or something to prevent this?

• Lifetime Members

Yes the CarNetix has a dead man timer function (DMT) it's set to 72 hours as standard. I changed mine to 1 hour for the time being. It also has a low battery function (LO_BAT) which is adjustable, I've left mine at 11.8v.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Lifetime Members
Just one thing you may want to do though - install a relay on ther main-supply to the Carnetix, with a switch to power it on/off - for thos eperiods your car will be sitting for a week or longer, the Carnetix will drain the battery.

Trust me, I have been there.

This happened to me last week. I didn't drive my car for 24 hours and it wouldn't start.

I've sinced changed the LO_BAT setting to 12.6V and this week I've had the chance to test it out so I haven't started my ute since Monday...

It just fired up straight away. :laughing: