Xr6t Stalling After Starting

kramo

• Member For: 20y 8m 2d

Just after starting, the engine light comes on and then after a couple of seconds the car dies. Start it up again and everything is fine.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I have cleaned the throttle body and Ford replaced the throttle position sensor last week (thanks for nothing - actually thanks for charging me $350 to not fix the problem) but it is still doing this. The car also seems to have a rough idle.

The car has a custom tune but I'm sure I've had it stall on the standard Ford tune.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks.

Mark

• role model
  • Member For: 18y 1m 8d

Im suffering from the same problem atm aswell but havent replaced the throttle body sensor yet.

could possibly be a pedal poistion fault?

it always happends on cold starts and revs stay high for awhile and some times the car will just cut out and turn off but then

I turn it bak on its fine.

• Member For: 21y 5m 17d

I've had a couple of instances where the car runs like a dog after starting. The engine light comes on and needs to be switched off. Starting it again clears the issue. I'd check for any codes pointing to incorrect VCT operation.

• Member For: 20y 8m 2d
Im suffering from the same problem atm aswell but havent replaced the throttle body sensor yet.

could possibly be a pedal poistion fault?

it always happends on cold starts and revs stay high for awhile and some times the car will just cut out and turn off but then

I turn it bak on its fine.

Yep, sounds like the exact same problem.

I note in your sig you have a wog tune as I do.

My car revs high on start up as well.

I know it may not be the tune, but does your car do the same thing when running the standard tune? I'm sure I have had the car stall on start up with the standard tune and that is why I took it to Ford and they said I had a TPS failure but the car still has the same problem (thanks again Ford for nothing). I have been trying to get it to stall on the standard tune but it seems to run well on the standard tune.

After my experience, I probably wouldn't bother wasting time and money changing the TPS because it made no difference on my car.

• Member For: 21y 4m 10d

I've had the EXACT same thing happen to me quite a few times, and yes my car revs quite high on start up and guess where my car was tuned - the wog.

I'd be interested to know if anyone can shed any light on the matter because It can be quite annoying sometimes - not to mention if it is in anyway damaging.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 10m 30d

Unplug the TPS, clean the contacts and plug back in.

Mine did this last week, but its been fine sinse I cleaned the plug out.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 26d

If it is in a auto it can be be a problem with the torque convertor lock up sensor, I haven't had the drama with my car but have sen it with other cats that I have worked on. I'm not sure what set-up ford has with there torque convertors but maybe that is just something that you could look at and eliminate as not a problem

knappy

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member For: 16y 9m 20d

Mine does this too...stalling and high revs at idle...

It happens on my standard tune and performance tunes...not often but now and then...

I'll try cleaning the TPS and see how it goes...doesn't bother me too much anyway.....

• Member For: 18y 2m 9d

My car has been doing this ever since I got it. I had the TPS changed and the pedal position sensor changed. Still does it every now and then.. and it is stock (well until next week ), so it has nothing to do with the 'tune'.