Xr6t Ute Towing ?

jason_85

• Member For: 17y 1m 4d

Hi guys

This might be a stupid question and have a very simple answer....

I am in the process of searching for a turbo ute but have noticed (especially in the manuals) they have a very small towing capacity compared to the sedans. I understand you could physically put alot more weight in the actual tray than you could fit in a sedan but when it comes to towing say a ski boat or caravan this wouldn't matter.

Could anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks heaps

Jason

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 20d

The xr6t and the xr8 have a maximum towing capability of 1600kg in auto and 1200kg in the manuals, this is the same between sedan and ute. the reason is because of the amount of torque the engines produce, if it really loads up the gearbox with, say, 2000kg and full noise in a higher gear, this puts too much stress on the box, sucks but is true....

• Member For: 17y 1m 4d
The xr6t and the xr8 have a maximum towing capability of 1600kg in auto and 1200kg in the manuals, this is the same between sedan and ute. the reason is because of the amount of torque the engines produce, if it really loads up the gearbox with, say, 2000kg and full noise in a higher gear, this puts too much stress on the box, sucks but is true....

I found that the sedan was 2300kg (braked) and the ute was 1080kg (braked)

BAMKII Sedan (manual)

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehic...hp?key=FORD04PC

BAMKII Ute (manual)

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehic...hp?key=FORD04QS

Or are these figures wrong? .... and if so does anyone know the actuals?

Edited by jason_85

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 3d

Specifications on the Ford website have them as the same - pretty sure it's been the same from BA onwards.

Ute Specs

Sedan Specs

(you'll need to select the xr6t on the ute specs page)

Drop the turbo on either and you've got yourself 2300kg capacity

• Member For: 19y 10m
The standard XR6 (NA) can tow 2300kg, but turbo or XR8 manuals are all 1200kg and autos are 1600 in sedan

I interested in this topic aswell as im buying a hevier boat soon but I checked the ford website and I says that the turbo ute can tow a max of 1600kg in auto and 1200 in manual why is this when the less powerfull xr6 can tow 2300kg and so can the xr8???

do you think ford dont want the turb to be put under much load for pinging problems perhaps???

And I f you look at teratory specks they can tow 2300kg in the turbo ghia model I dont get it ford!!!

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 3d

For the sake of the driveline. A T kicking down a gear or two at full noise dragging a couple of tonne wouldn't do it much good.

Most people would care enough not to let such a scenario happen....but it's all about saving the warranty $'s as far as Ford are concerned.