Edit Mythbusters Updated

markxr6t

• Member For: 19y 4m 28d

Whoops.

You DO need to restore your factory tune to your car if you want to keep your edit box.

Many of you would have read my earlier thread about my experiences of getting my edit box unlocked (from my previous car's VIN) by CAPA for $75. I have now asked for that thread to be deleted.

Tony Rullo the owner of CAPA rang me this morning saying that I was fortunate enough to have slipped through the net as a result of a minor break down in communication. I obviously thought I was experiencing standard procedure and was just sharing it with my fellow enthusiasts.

Therefore, whilst CAPA do have the software to unlock the boxes, this can only be done with a stat dec and/or evidence from the owner that the car which it is VIN locked too has been stolen or written off.

Sorry for any confusion I've caused (particularly to CAPA who have had several calls from their dealers asking WTF?) and hope this clears it all up.

Mark

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 5d

hot dayum!!

I thought she looked good on the show but that is top notch!

edit: continue with the flasher chat guys...!

Edited by XR06T

• I see red
  • Member For: 21y 3m 11d

Another Edit myth is that you must flash your factory tune back in before you take your car to Ford for service. According to CAPA this is neccessary in case Ford decide to flash your computer with an update of some sort. CAPA claim that if you don't you will have to send the box back to USA to get unlocked. This is BS as I found out. You just reflash your car yourself with whatever tune you want from your CAPA box.

• <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 4m 20d

Isnt the purpose of flashing your factory tune back in before service so that when you get it back, if ford has updated your computer, then you can download their update back into your box as the stock one (overwriting the old one) ?

• <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 4m 20d
nope - once the "F" slot has been written to it never gets changed until the box is reset.

Ok cool.

So lets say you take your car in for a service, with the custom tune still in the car.

Now lets say Ford updates your computer with their 'update' of the stock one.. and you get your car back... now you cannot flash your car back to the custom tune since you didnt put it back to stock first.. is that right?

Edited by XF Falcon

• 3 months later...
  • Member For: 20y 12d

Is there a way a different tuner can acces you car, after being tuned by some one else?

I bought the car in sydney and im now in darwin. I have a small prob with mine (air leak) and I was told I have to do a full retune from scratch, or get the program from the old tuner?