New Zealand Cruise & Chat Thread

Dagabond

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 23d

Got a Naruawahia girl snoozing on my couch, tainui tribe in my shed and eldest of the eldest in my back pocket - 

Can you let me know your mailing address so I can send them back?

• Like 1

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 12d

Farrk me Queenstown is sooo beautiful - I do wanna drive the South Island.  But tell you what after driving a Toyota Corolla all around Sydney last week - it was just great to get back into the F6 again at Melbourne airport :roflmbo:

@tazzanz when I'm back in Auckland (maybe sometime in next 2 months) I'll give you a PM for a Steinlager bro :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team

Saw this in The Age website today

http://www.traveller.com.au/six-of-the-best-australasian-mountain-drives-gx39va

TREBLE CONE, WANAKA, NEW ZEALAND

The Swiss might claim rank on lake and mountain combinations, but this one will put them back in their banks. From Wanaka, follow the Mount Aspiring Road along Lake Wanaka, passing pieces of paradise like Glendhu Bay, where the lake laps away at the shore and the peaks of New Zealand's Southern Alps reach up to catch the sky in the distance. When the road leaves the lake, it rises a little over a ridge and into the Matukituki Valley, where you soon take a left to Treble Cone for a typical gravel, switchback, NZ mountain road, with views of the braided Matukituki River expanding with every metre you climb. Road use to access TC is free.

MOUNT OLYMPUS, CRAIGIEBURN RANGE, NEW ZEALAND

You need a sense of adventure to ski this charming club field, and to drive to it. About 3½ hours from Christchurch, the road passes the little town of Windwhistle and then rolls through virtually every Lord of the Rings scene – farmland ripe and green, vast grassy plains, rocky hills, a lake framed by mountains and then the final stretch up Mt Olympus. The game is up when you arrive at "Bottom Hut" and see the sign that reads: "stop here and radio Top Hut". They mean it – it's an often-icy single lane gravel road painted onto the mountainside and you don't want to meet another car half-way. Road access is free.

I see that the above talks about gravel roads.  Probably okay but I'd like to stay on sealed roads where possible.

• 2 months later...
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team

Poor little rental Corolla - only had a few  thou on it but after today - prolly feels like it has just done 80 thou :roflmbo:   Kept the revs up most of the way from Queenstown over Haast Pass :drivingalong:  

Didn't go any earlier than today due to work and snow closing off roads (Milf was still closed off).  O M G the driving scenery is just spectacular.  It was like Swiss Alps, Great Ocean Road, Vic Alpine Cruise, Tassie cruise and Snowy's Cruise all rolled into one !!!   

I do want to do this again - maybe as a forum cruise (though Ford XRs are a bit hard to come as rentals nowadays ... )

I'll throw up some pics and stuff later on.

• Like 3

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team

Some Pics - Enjoy  :beerchug: 

Near Wanaka, South Island, New Zealand

41slwnN.jpg

8Dd3akE.jpg

Haast Pass, South Island, New Zealand

KzGMqNU.jpg 

Glenorchy, South Island, New Zealand

q9qrPtx.jpg