New Zealand Cruise & Chat Thread

Dagabond

• Member For: 13y 3m 24d

hey long time member here! hardly post though!

I'm from north otago I have a BA xr6t sedan standard as! ( no real point tuning a semi worn out BA) plan on up grading to an FG at some stage

cheers

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 7m 23d

Thinking of visiting the South Island some time next year in a hire car and wondering what are good routes around the South Island?  I've checked out the interwebs and have an idea of some routes but nothin like local knowledge hey bro :thumbsup:

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 3m 25d

All you need to know is the east coast is a sh*t hole. Cold, rainy, have sex with your cousin type stuff.
I grew up in the top of the south but I rekon best car trip would be Queenstown- up the middle to Tekapo- out to Christchurch - up the east coast for whales n sh*t - via Blenheim if wines your thing- then across to nelson/golden Bay and the able Tasman national park

• 2 weeks later...
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team

Thanks mate - I'll keep this route in mind.  Looks like a good one to get down south from Picton/Blenheim and also make our way back towards the ferry at Picton to Wellington in the North Island.  Sounds like we should be driving it from Queenstown by the way you described it.  It's a farrkn long drive 906km 11 hours - fark me and I thought it was a little island.  Looks like a 2 day thing cos the place is so scenic (am bound to want to stop and take pics/vids :roflmbo: )

7jPeTMw.png

I heard that Christchurch - Arthurs Pass - Greymouth - Fox Glacier is a good cruise as well?

• 5 months later...
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team

Qantas have a deal on that moment $208 one-way Melbourne to Christchurch that finishes on 18 Mar.  For travel 7 Oct - 21 Nov.  

I'm thinking of visiting from 7 Oct to 15 Oct (take in 2 weekends to maximise time).  Would be great to do an over-night cruise with some of the locals.  I'll be in a hire car.  Route thinking about Christchurch-Arthurs Pass-Hokitika-Buller Gorge-back to Fox Glacier/Franz Josef Gacier-Wanaka-Queenstown-Omarama-Timaru-Christchurch.  Roads look good through there.

I hear Sep-Nov is whitebait season and Hokitika is your green jade carving capital.  Also avoids the busy touristy Dec-Jan period.  Accomodation should be more reasonably priced in Oct as well.

Would there be any interest in organising an overnight cruise for you New Zealunder folks?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team

Hey - I'm still keen to do a cruise around South Island somewhere around Oct 7 and Oct 15 that week.  I'm okay to do it by myself - but if there were some guys on here that were also keen - maybe we could get together and do a cruise?  I'd be in a rental car - so probably not have the same pace as you locals.

Prices on Jetstar look good - farrk me it was cheaper than getting over to Tassie on the Spirit - around $450 return on those dates.  But guess need to factor in rental car costs.