Water/methanol Injection

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

When I used to race on and offroad RC (IC) cars I never saw a fire (unless someone lit it up for fun) from them crashing, spilling fcking fuel everywhere while pitting etc etc...

Mixtures were Methanol with anywhere from 10-40% Nitro (also contains synthetic oil)!

So in saying the above it is highly unlikely that it would ignite especially when it's sloshing around in water also as mixtures are only 50-50 and the tank installs are generally in the boot or inside the front guards.

MattyP,

Mate you will want to run methanol and water at 50-50 mix and use the biggest nozzle they provide. Also you will want to purchase (or make) a suitable alloy or steel BUNG that the nozzle will screw into (hole will need to be cut into piping and bung welded on of course).

Snow should still sell them for $20 as generally the thickness of intake piping will work but if you need to remove and refit etc it can turn to sh*t quickly! The threads are tapered also if making your own and tell your mechanic who is installing it as the dumb fcks up this way screwed ray076's fitting that my father in-law made for him first go at fitting it...

Try and get The_Bogan to reply about tuning wise with the water/meth injection as he more than the rest of us used it for drag racing (afaik) so prob tuned the extra timing and or boost in to account.

I know tuners like Dave (blueboost) who owns CPV in Mackay generally tune with the kit on for a slight increase but more for the safety of the knock deterrent which it does extremely well and man does it bring the exhaust temps down, wow!

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 10m 25d

Why water meth,

I get that meth has a far better cooling effect than water alone but price wise and ease of obtaining water seems it for me.

I know you want the highest PSI PUMP but I didn't know about the biggest injector available as I was told a smaller injector will have higher atomization compared to a larger one

• Donating Members

The snow kit provides 3 injectors from memory and the pump it comes with is a beast. It's the quality injector nozzle that does the atomising (along with pressure) but the nozzle size is determined by the size of the motor and whether it's N/A or Forced Induction.

Water alone will only cool the air which does help allot but the added methanol is the big deal here being an octane booster and cooler also

You have to remember that the injection isn't going all the time as it will only activate at your set psi (6-8psi?) and for instance as quarter mile pass takes 11-13 seconds and the nozzle is a 450-600cc a minute so the 4lt container last a while.

Methanol is cheap in a 20lt container considering fuel is fcking $1.90 for 98oct...

I would recommend emailing Snow (or check there forum) and asking them some Q's about straight water versus different % of methanol.

Shooting blue flames is also fcking cool... Haha

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control

I'm going to email them shortly

During summer I'll have it kick in at around 5 psi

I don't want more spark just a bit more boost and safety

• Donating Members

This was the shop I originally bought ours from- http://stores.ebay.com/Import-Blowout-Sales/_i.html?_nkw=snow&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4634

Paid $727 Aus delivered for two of their Stage 1 MAP kits back in Nov 2010!

I offered $270US a kit and delivery was $160US for the two which was cheap as sh*t compared to what Australian dealers wanted ($750-900)...

Forgot to mention that I offered $30US a kit less and they took it no probs so try $50 off and see what they say!

Edited by bjc

• Member For: 20y 7m 23d

Just water alone can be a good (make shift) octane booster believe it or not. The octane of the fuel is essentially its ability to resist knock. Lowering the temperatures of the combustion cycle in turn decreases the liklihood of knock and can allow the addition of more timing. Adding the methanol on top of the water further improves the knock resistance of the air/fuel mixture. If it was safe to do so, running straight meth would be ideal but without the addition of water, methanol is highly flammable and not advised by many.

As for nozzle sizes and which one to use, it will depend highly on how much mixture you want to be injecting and how much fuel you wish to pull from the factory injection. Biggest nozzle means more fuel to be pulled out and vica versa. I've tried the biggest nozzle and was too much, next dyno tune will be with the smallest. If you wish to use water/meth as a fuel to make power then go the big nozzle, if you wish to use it for safety then a smaller nozzle might be more suited.

I'm still in the testing stages but I will feedback my results as they come to hand.

Benny.

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control

that's exactly what I was thinking Benny

Im only doing it to make 98 as "safe" as or close to E85 and for lower AITs

Like I said im not going for more timing and to be honest I cant really go more power as my 440rwkw E85 tune is killing my gearbox

I might just take a small amount of fuel out on the 98 tune just because I can

Keep us updated Bud

• Donating Members

Is your kit the Snow performance Benny and do you use a 50-50 mix or just water? Also where do you have the nozzle located, near throttle body or down futher etc

I'll check the nozzles in my kit when I get motivated and report back but your injector size may play a part here and definately the air difference between Newy and North Qld will have a big effect on tuning.

How your tuner likes to tune also will make a difference whether he likes a nice 12.2-12.5afr or 11's etc...

Big nozzle hasn't quenched the cylinders so that's not a problem afaik

• Donating Members

Forgot how much sh*t I have in the shed! Haha

Just checked the nozzle I have fitted and it a no.5 so should be 375ml/min.

I also have the no.3 175ml and no.6 is 625ml so I'd gather the biggest (no.6) is prob to much unless injecting at over 10psi?

I'll ask my mate what number he has fitted on his FG

• Member For: 20y 7m 23d

Is your kit the Snow performance Benny and do you use a 50-50 mix or just water? Also where do you have the nozzle located, near throttle body or down futher etc

I'll check the nozzles in my kit when I get motivated and report back but your injector size may play a part here and definately the air difference between Newy and North Qld will have a big effect on tuning.

How your tuner likes to tune also will make a difference whether he likes a nice 12.2-12.5afr or 11's etc...

Big nozzle hasn't quenched the cylinders so that's not a problem afaik

BJC,

Yes I have the Stage 3 boost cooler system and at this stage aiming to run 50/50 mix. If I cannot get a happy medium using the meth then I will switch to straight water. I have my nozzle fitted approx 3 inches from the throttle body in the rubber/plastic intake tube.

Benny.