Water/methanol Injection

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 13d

I still use it on E85 for the extra cooling effect and piece of mind, especially when it doesn't hurt. Yes I believe you can get quench but I've never experienced it.

If you just want piece of mind/consistancy like I said run a small jet only to supplement your AFR on pump fuel. It takes 2 mins to change jets so if you want to lean on it a bit more for dyno day or a race tune, leave the jets with your tuner and get him to tune it to its max, For safety you might be able to use the IAT modifyer or lambda correction table to add the extra timing for the water/meth instead of adding the extra timing to the main borderline knock table. I would be more inclined to use the lambda table though triggered from a richer AFR, the IAT modifyer may have the potential to add the timing when the IATs are cooler which might be a consequence of cool ambient temps of winter etc. Your tuner would have to have a play around and see what is the best/safest way to add the timing for you. I used to just have two tunes on my laptop on pump 98 fuel with the big 625ml jet (I tune with HP tuners) and run the smaller 175ml jet with E85 for Drag racing, powercruise etc. But I tune it on E85 without the water/meth, then once tuning is finished I power up the system and run just to check it isn't hurting power, and with that small jet it never has.

Now for some reliability issues, If you buy the kit, you cant always guarantee that you will be able to mount the nozzle higher than the tank so to prevent syphoning/getting sucked through under vacuum, get the extra anti syphon solenoid, also every service I pop the small black cover off the throttle body that covers the shaft bearings and spray it with chain lube.. Prior to fitting the solenoid my would syphon, I had the throttle body stick at WOT after passing a truck and was lucky to have enough room on the highway not to cause an accident and shut the car down. So if there is one thing you take notice of please JUST FIT THE SOLENOID with the kit. Since then I've used it for nearly 3 years constantly with E85 and haven't had any more issues.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 16d

Was there a build up of calcium or corrosion to make the butterfly stick open due to the water/meth as I'm pretty sure Dave Sheehy said to just lube the throttle body every now and then also which I'm sure my mate has never done! Haha

My old Supercharged xr8 had the dodgy water injection kit that came with the capa kits back in the day and would just spray a stream (not mist as the pump was a washer bottle pump...) of water through the Vortech V2SQ blower that I had. After a year of having that the fins on the blower had that white corrosion build up (like a raw alloy boat from the ocean)!

Back on the quenching...This bloke on the video owned an F truck with the 7.3lt turbo diesel and started with dual 675cc injectors and it was coming on 100% @ 3psi? under it's light throttle (low revs for the big beast) so was basically showing what happens when quenching occurs!

I'd say it would be hard with one injector in our turboed cars!

I'll try and find some links for a read that I was skimming through though seeing as the Snow Perf Forums aren't active or I can't get access?

• Member For: 20y 8m 14d

So your base afr (without water/meth) was about 11.5:1 then and your using the water/meth for safety measures not for power gains?

I have been reading and a more appropriate name for it is "Chemical Intercooling" as the gains are made by the cooler intake temps.

Watched a few youtube videos on quenching also with turbo diesels (as I think a gas engine would prob die...) and it's puffing billy bigtime! Haha

Base AFR was 12.0:1. Due back on the dyno this week using the smallest nozzle. My plan is to use it for safety rather than outright power. I'll be running 14psi on a stock engine which is nearing the max safe boost using the stock HTV1900 on 98.

I'm using my washer bottle as the tank and have not installed the additional solenoid due to my tank being well below the height of the injector. I was still a little concerned with the air rushing past the nozzle that it would syphon some of the water/meth through, but after driving for two weeks with the pump isolated there has been no loss of fluid from the tank.

With the amount of blowby and oil in the intake I'm expecting lubricating the throttle body won't be required, but time will tell.

Benny.

Edited by Benny

• Member For: 11y 21d

I currently use the Snow Performance kit and there are so many benefits it's not funny. Where to start....

1. Extremely consistant power figures right through summer due to the cooling affect of the methanol

2. Intake and more importantly exhaust temps brought way way down

3. Brings detonation (ping) down to ZERO

4. You can run regular unleaded fuel if you wish due to the methanol increasing the octane rating

5. Most importantly, it's a huge safety messure. All the time I read people posting threads on how their car is pinging under load in 4th and with a loaded car, this kit will make that non-existent.

The kits are suitable to NA and Turbo cars. More suited to turbo cars as you can run more boost and a sh!t load of timing.

The kit comes with a map sensor controller that injectors water / meth at a set boost level. Mine is set to start spraying at about 5 psi and stops at 15.

I can't recommend this kit enough.

If anyone is interested I'll take some photos of my install so you can have a look at how neat it is.

Hi m8. Would like to see pics of your water meth inj setup

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 13d

Base AFR was 12.0:1. Due back on the dyno this week using the smallest nozzle. My plan is to use it for safety rather than outright power. I'll be running 14psi on a stock engine which is nearing the max safe boost using the stock HTV1900 on 98.

I'm using my washer bottle as the tank and have not installed the additional solenoid due to my tank being well below the height of the injector. I was still a little concerned with the air rushing past the nozzle that it would syphon some of the water/meth through, but after driving for two weeks with the pump isolated there has been no loss of fluid from the tank.

With the amount of blowby and oil in the intake I'm expecting lubricating the throttle body won't be required, but time will tell.

Benny.

I hope for your sake you don't. But being only a 5 min job and having such a close call myself I don't take any second chances, One day I might go see the upholsterer to get the leather re-done and try to remove that pucker mark on the driver's seat

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 16d

Benny.

My plan on the TT is to use the water/meth for safety also as temps and humidity up here can get relatively high and sucks the life out of our cars when loading them up constantly!

As for lubing the butterfly, the blowby generally that reaches the throttle body is virtually gum and more of a consistency of smudged tar which I would not rely on to be lube so I would be just using WD40 and from what old mates anus has told us that in the event if it happens (rare but it's like anything) you would be spewing for not doing it...

My mate doesn't have the anti-syphon either as the bottle is lower and he hasn't seem to have any probs with it.

I hope for your sake you don't. But being only a 5 min job and having such a close call myself I don't take any second chances, One day I might go see the upholsterer to get the leather re-done and try to remove that pucker mark on the driver's seat

Mate has never lubed his TB either AFAIK so I told him that's the next on the agenda...

• Like 1