Water/methanol Injection

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 16d

Got my mate to reply, he has the no.6 fitted which is the biggest they come with. Spraying starts at 10psi and always runs a 50/50 mix. Fg turbo with standard gt3540, original stage 2 pw IC kit with turbo side intake, 60lb inj, single 3.5in xforce with cat still in place! About 400rwkw so conservative numbers. Dave the owner of CPV has tuned a few cars with the kits over the years so has no problems with them.

• Like 1

• Member For: 20y 8m 14d

There is no issue with fitting the biggest nozzle other than having to pull a fair amount of fuel from the factory injection. To balance my tune and maintain the desired AFR to make good power, a total of 14% would had to have been trimmed from the factory injection. This isn't an issue but can be a real problem if the water/meth pump fails. This will more than likely result in a blown engine. I wasn't willing to take such a big risk.

Benny.

• Donating Members

Below photo is from my mates car. I asked him how far the nozzle was from the TB and got this photo! Haha

Doesn't your stage 3 setup have some funky getup that can release boost, timing or whatever in the event of the water/meth pump failing?

post-2018-140377421849_thumb.jpg

Edited by bjc
  • Like 1

The Stage 3 kit doesn't have that functionality but I think an additional controller can be purchased as a fail safe. Not sure how it would integrate to our cars though. The difference of the Stage 3 kit is it has an electronic controller and the ability to trigger from boost or injector pulse width or both depending on how you program it.

Benny.

• Donating Members

Ok, I thought it might have come with the failsafe controller! My stage 1 kit only has a manually adjustable boost actuator thingy...

I'm pretty sure my mates activates at 10psi.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 13d

If you are using the water/meth as a substitue to pump fuel, a smaller jet will be fine. When I was still running pump 98 and a stage 2 pw cooler, with a 375ml jet, intake temps were down in the low 20s degrees celsius. you wont need to pull fuel out. Ive use a 625 or 675ml jet on 98 and the richer afr didn't hurt power at all.

If you aren't going to use the water meth as a power added and just a safety (as I was originally as I was learning to tune and didnt want to grenade the stock engine) tune it without the water meth. Hook the meth up and enjoy.

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 11m 15d

Heaps of good Info there guys

So your saying on 98 and is activated at say 6psi I won't need to adjust the tune on straight water? And the afr will be richer?

My car using the biggest nozzle dyno'd with an AFR of 10.5:1, which was way too rich. This AFR resulted in a loss of power right up until the run was aborted at around 4500rpm.

Benny.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 13d

use water and meth, and a 175ml jet. You wont need to adjust the tune unless it is stupid rich to start.

• Donating Members

My car using the biggest nozzle dyno'd with an AFR of 10.5:1, which was way too rich. This AFR resulted in a loss of power right up until the run was aborted at around 4500rpm.

Benny.

So your base afr (without water/meth) was about 11.5:1 then and your using the water/meth for safety measures not for power gains?

I have been reading and a more appropriate name for it is "Chemical Intercooling" as the gains are made by the cooler intake temps.

Watched a few youtube videos on quenching also with turbo diesels (as I think a gas engine would prob die...) and it's puffing billy bigtime! Haha