Changing The Wastegate Actuator

The NUT

• Member For: 17y 2m 18d

heres another thought too, we dont need larger swing valves... porting yes, larger swing valve no... we were able to control boost very easily at 396rwkw without the valve, in fact, im starting to believe that the larger swing valve hinders flow of gases due to its bulky size in the flow path... proven in more cars than just mine too...

modding just got a little cheaper :spit:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 8d

What boost you running, I dare say at tht power level its going to be over 15psi.

Simple test to prove my theory, hook your actuator directly to the vac feed on the turbo bypassing the solenoid.

Measure your boost during the day and see what it peaks too. Do it again at night at like 11pm onwards, and then see what it boosts to.

In anycase, as I said before, you can tune higher than the point it overboosts too, but you cannot boost lower.

O2stock for example could not get lower than 17psi, ie, he made 390 or so rwkw, but he wanted lower than that, so he could have a lower power tune. He can now control it to 13psi since he ported his wastegate

366rwkw @14.5psi and can run lower too... peak boost achieved at 4000rpm in 5th gear, so you can see we control it very easily...

396rwkw @ 17psi

not disagreeing with anything you have said, agree totally with everything except that a larger swing valve is not required, only the porting...

Edited by groper

• Donating Members

With my cat in place, boost was controlable with just porting (I did have bigger valve but the original port hole size was prob coverable by the original flap)

Without the cat, forget it

What induction setup you got? I'm also assuming u have a bf based on the power levels

full process west plenum/cooler kit and 4inch dump 5inch cat. yes bf2

without the pod filter and under battery intake pipe to turbo, we got another 2psi of boost on same tune. ive been told that the boost goes crazy without a cat but my cat is about the highest flowing on the market... im talking within the bounds of street legal setups here... no exhaust, no intake, massive plumbing etc,,, your going way above what the stock internally gated turbo should be dealing with and beyonf the scope of this discussion

the porting job we did was extensive, the original flapper valve only JUST covers the hole with about .5mm all round. not only this but flow was encouraged into the wastegate from inside the exhaust housing extensively.

I believe that the larger swing valve mod idea was employed so stop binding of the valve on the seat. with the oem valve it can get stuck and not close fully after it has been ported like we did. this can be sorted though with some patience...

Edited by Dagabond

• Donating Members

Because my original port was not good enough, I decided that a $60 odd swing valve was good value to "just to be sure"

Anyways, I've sent ya a pm about ya cat.

Danny

Inside porting to encourage flow from flange helps plenty, I believe the original flap fell in the new port now. Will post pics when I get home

• BACK SLOWER THEN EVER!
  • Member For: 16y 9m 16d

Danny, mate you should write a book. The Idiots Guide to How to Mod you XR6T. I will buy a copy and I'm sure alot of guys from here would here as well.

Get one of the car mags like Performance Ford to sponsor you...

:stirthepot:

When it comes to Falcs you know your stuff, I wish I could get the car down to you for a custom.

Ozzie.

• Donating Members
Inside porting to encourage flow from flange helps plenty, I believe the original flap fell in the new port now. Will post pics when I get home

Without giving too much hints away, here is the wastegate we done on sunday for Cole Tricles car.

And the bigger flapper mounted as well.

DSCF1311r.JPG

• Donating Members
Danny, mate you should write a book. The Idiots Guide to How to Mod you XR6T. I will buy a copy and I'm sure alot of guys from here would here as well.

Get one of the car mags like Performance Ford to sponsor you...

:blush:

When it comes to Falcs you know your stuff, I wish I could get the car down to you for a custom.

Ozzie.

:ooops:

Modifying these cars is actually very simple, You just need to spend your money in the right way..

Danny