Changing The Wastegate Actuator

The NUT

• 7 months later...
  • Member For: 16y 5m 25d

Im having trouble with over boost. running rapid cooler and 4inch dump, with the vac line straight onto the wastegate actuator it holds at about 5psi then when revs get up around 3-3500 just spikes to crazy high. Would it be something todo with the wastegate not being able to flow enough gas to keep boost low at high rpm? was on the dyno with the solenoid hooked up and it was boosting up late then goin upto 15psi and they couldnt control it. I pulled the turbo off and found the wastegate was opening and closing fine, tested with a pump and it held didnt leak.

• Member For: 16y 5m 25d
I'm guessing it would be different under load, have you got a custom tune?

it was on the dyno yesterday gettin a custom tune but they couldnt get it to hold any boost. boost came on really late then would spike upto 15psi. then they would shut it off. they said it might be the arm fallen off so I pulled the turb off last nite and it was fine. it holds 5psi to about 3500rpm then just goes crazy. thinking maybe wastegate needs to be ported....

• 9 months later...
  • flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 12d

theres a lot of mumbo jumbo on this thread for us guys that are not familiar with the nitty gritty. eg duty cycle .5 , .55 etc.

so for the uneducated in custom tuning, what was the simple answer?

as many, including myself go the familiar route of intake mods, flash, tune, cooler, injectors, valve springs, fuel pump- is a stronger, say, 12psi actuator a good mod to do, or a waste of money?

I'm chasing anything over 300rwkw. will more power be able to be tuned in with one?

once again, just for the not-so-educated in intricate tuning proceedures.... :spoton:

• Member For: 16y 5m 28d
I have found that 16 psi was the maximum I could achieve on the stndard actuator so I upgraded to a 15 psi actuator could run upto 25 psi or so with that one at maximum bleed

interesting... my actuator seems to be failing at a crappy 9psi... the car just bleed boost... the tuner said I would only need a 10psi actuator (as an upgrade) and it would be good for 15-16psi not that I want to run much more than say 12psi...

• Member For: 16y 5m 28d

I cant agree with alot of the comments being made..... I have wog cooler, injectors, heavy duty valve springs, custom tune that has boost serge from 5-10psi! if I dont replace the acuator I cant drive the car on boost cause its a dog.... so not always a cat and dump are first on the list, but hey will be next......... :blink:

Agreed, rap1d. Forget the actuator; go for a cat and dump, injectors, in tank Walbro pump and limit your self to 14 - 12 psi with safe AFRs (from a good custom tuner) and your wish for 300 will be m o r e than upon you. SAFELY.

:beerchug:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 3m 8d

so it depends from car to car whether you need to upgrade it and also on what is done when its tuned. so for someone wanting to make bit over 300kw a 10psi actuator would be a good precaution since its cheap to do?

who sells a 10psi actuator and approx how much is it?

• Member For: 16y 11m 8d
so it depends from car to car whether you need to upgrade it and also on what is done when its tuned. so for someone wanting to make bit over 300kw a 10psi actuator would be a good precaution since its cheap to do?

who sells a 10psi actuator and approx how much is it?

:hiall: can we do a group buy on these maybe

• 1 month later...