Hand Brake Issue In Rolling Backwards

bad inferno

• Member For: 18y 7m 13d

My XR6 has suffered from the same infliction that my Fairmont had...The hand brake, although working perfectly in stopping the car moving forward....if I park on a slight incline the car can easily roll backwards...in fact you can put the handbrake on and just push the car backwards however try to roll it forward and its like a rock....I did mention this at service however they found no fault as they only tried the handbrake for stopping the car going forward..The hand brake probably pulls up <5 clicks

Anybody else had this...

Is there any type of recall (XR6T 2005 BA)

Is it easy to adjust the handbrake yourself ?

cheers rob

• Member For: 17y 10m 26d

Have a search back through some of the old posts on handbrakes. I remeber someone posting up a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) about it....it was alot more complicated than just adjusting the cable.

Hope this helps

• Member For: 17y 6m 6d

if I can give u any advice before your warrenty runs out, its get your rear brakes completely refitted, including discs, shoes, adjusters etc etc, it will only get worse and worse.

Your shoes are incorrectly adjusted, and there is a small hole in the side of the brake drum to adjust this, but it is a pain in the arse to get to.

Removing the drum damages the shoes, and adjusting the shoes, it was a hit and miss thing, not holding, and then rubbing.

In the end, replaced the lot, and can straight away notice the difference. Holding in reverse, and no drag felt on the rear after sitting on the handbrake for a while.

• Member For: 21y 4m 28d
The TSB is a waste of time it does not fix anything..

Have had the magic TSB applied twice and you are correct. To be blunt, it's bloody worse and now I have an intermittent squeak at low speeds as well. To be fair, the dealer did do it at no charge (I'm out of warranty) but I have complained about this from very early days. Either the TSB is useless or my dealer is.

• BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d

Do you reckon if ford machined the inside of the drums it would fix it. The morons cant even adjust it properly one side of the car lifts or squats when I wack the brake on....