Hand Brake Issue In Rolling Backwards

bad inferno

• My engine bay is Bionic
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9d
Do you reckon if ford machined the inside of the drums it would fix it. The morons cant even adjust it properly one side of the car lifts or squats when I wack the brake on....

You must be still using Dominelli Ford.

• 13 years later...
  • Member For: 5y 2m 5d

I'm having the same issue, I've adjusted the handbrake according to the manual (wheels drag on 1 click and won't turn on 3 clicks by hand). The handbrake holds well forward (must rev engine to about 2k rpm to get it to move), but rolls backwards under idle. 

Is there now a fix for this (after 13 years since this thread started)? 

BA XR6T

Edited by Tubofords

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

If you've adjusted it then tried to move with it adjusted, you've wrecked the adjustment, basically... it's not meant to stop a car from moving, only hold it from starting to move.

Adjust it again and if it holds as you let off the brake pedal on an incline testing environment, then you're all good and only apply it once you've stopped unless you need it in an emergency situation.

This is what I did, I adjusted and then applied the handbrake whist stationary. The car starts to roll backwards when I take my foot off the brakes when in reverse. This would be the same as sitting on a hill with handbrake and taking foot off the brake.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Just do it with the car in neutral on a small incline, to not stress the system unnecessarily and adjust as necessary.

I end up fixing the problem, I did a few things so I have no idea what was the actual reason for it working now. 

- I removed the discs from both back wheels

- Sprayed and wiped both the shoe and inner disc with brake cleaner

- Scrubbed both shoe and inner disc with emery cloth. The disc was slightly glazed, but still had heaps of wear material left. 

- The springs that hold the shoe back against the hub assembly weren't attached, the shoe was just free-floating which probably didn't help. I clipped the spring back on to the shoe in all 3 spots.

- I adjusted the shoes so there was no drag on one click and equal drag both wheels on one click, then no movement on 3 clicks. 

- Put everything back together.

- Put the car in neutral on a hill and tried the handbrake. Car still rolled backwards easily with 5 clicks. I went back up the hill and let the car roll backwards with the handbrake applied. After each roll the grip got more and more. After about 10 times the car was holding on the hill with only 3 clicks. Car now holds on steep inclines.