BRAKE SHUDDER ISSUE

Guest IMTRBO

Who is it happening to?  

1,278 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest OXR-747
  • Guests

ed-au-ba-xr6, I'm hearing you! Iv'e got mine booked in Tuesday to have the brake shudder looked at! Have to have a whole day off work as they can't do it weekends?? Then I'll have to have another day off when it needs its 15,000km service in about 3000kms time. :( Something about their spart parts not being open on weekends??

• Member For: 21y 5m 19d
Why wouldn't you want them machined? Don't you want the problem fixed? The small skim that is removed will be virtually immesureable. If you put on another set of standard non-heat-treated discs (the type Ford use) you will have a good chance of having the problem back. I'd just let them do a skim and see how it goes for a while - it worked on my T3 and it seems to be working for most of the BAs.

Turbo6man: The reason why I don't want the disks machined is because we have already had the disks machined at around 7000km. The fact that we have had the disks machined and that the problem has come back (worse than ever) suggests to me that machining the disks again will only be a temporary fix, and in another few thousand kays or so, the problem will be back.

Also, it sounds like the second time the shudder appears it is much worse than the first time. This is certainly the case with our XR6. The car moves around violently under all braking. Like ed-au-ba-xr6 said, it's going to require a lot of machining to get it smooth again.

• Flaccid Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 29d

Scuze my ignorance, but scanning through the reply's, I haven't seen anyone with premium brakes with this problem. Is that so? My car is due in two weeks and I ordered the premium brakes because I had an XR before and had repeated brake problems.....I'd be a bit upset If my brakes needed machining twice before clocking up 10,000

• Flaccid Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 29d

Cheers matchew

just got a call and mine arrives on monday! Now I'm getting excited.

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 9d
Why wouldn't you want them machined? Don't you want the problem fixed? The small skim that is removed will be virtually immesureable. If you put on another set of standard non-heat-treated discs (the type Ford use) you will have a good chance of having the problem back. I'd just let them do a skim and see how it goes for a while - it worked on my T3 and it seems to be working for most of the BAs.

Turbo6man: The reason why I don't want the disks machined is because we have already had the disks machined at around 7000km. The fact that we have had the disks machined and that the problem has come back (worse than ever) suggests to me that machining the disks again will only be a temporary fix, and in another few thousand kays or so, the problem will be back.

Also, it sounds like the second time the shudder appears it is much worse than the first time. This is certainly the case with our XR6. The car moves around violently under all braking. Like ed-au-ba-xr6 said, it's going to require a lot of machining to get it smooth again.

OK I agree with you now on this as you've already had them done - I understand you would want new rotors and that will probably be OK by the dealer - if not a call to 13FORD will surely get you a new set.

And for those who asked about the premiums - they are not immune but will of course take much more punishment before heating up and warping. Most people just don't use their brakes hard enough for it to become a problem with the premiums. In fact most people don't use the standard brakes hard enough for it to be a problem - that is not to say it isn't a problem, but just that there are many more cars out there WITHOUT the problem than WITH.

Naturally the turbos are going to be driven more enthusiastically than an XT or other models and that is why so many here seem to have the prob. I think Ford may simply have to upgrade the brakes on the turbo to being premiums as standard fitment. Furthermore we will probably see exactly the same thing happening with the XR8s when there are more of them on the road.

• I'm Back!! Thats right, long over due! :)
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 15d

Turbo6man,

I may have only the XR6 N/A, (Believe me, I an soooo envious of you all, why do you think I spend so much time on this addictive site), I still push the thing hard though. The only trouble is that I feel I have to baby it every time it comes to braking. If I was financial enough I'd say "Take the &^*#^@%$%$ rotors off and throw them to the sh**house" and insist they install the premium brake package. Unfortunatley it's just not an option for us at this time.

Any newbies looking at this thread.

GET THE PREMIUM BRAKES!!!

• Member For: 21y 2m 20d

Rather then premium brakes for $3000 I like the sound of the DBAs for about $500.

If mine warp (which I guess they will soon enough) I will seriously consider DBA rotors instead of just a patch up fix. Of course a solution from Ford before then would be even better....

• Member For: 21y 2m 25d
Turbo6man,

I may have only the XR6 N/A, (Believe me, I an soooo envious of you all, why do you think I spend so much time on this addictive site), I still push the thing hard though. The only trouble is that I feel I have to baby it every time it comes to braking. If I was financial enough I'd say "Take the &^*#^@%$%$ rotors off and throw them to the sh**house" and insist they install the premium brake package. Unfortunatley it's just not an option for us at this time.

Any newbies looking at this thread.

GET THE PREMIUM BRAKES!!!

Well said EB-AU-BA.

Ever considered a job in public speaking?.

From memorie Turbo6man your T3 or TS has the exact same problem as all our Turbos.How many Km was it when you had them machined and how many Km do you think you will get out of it before they have to be redone.I wonder if the T has the discs carried over from your car.

I dont consider I thrash my car and I bet you do not as well but it is a problem that exist in a lot of cars that machineing will cover it up for a little time but you will be back,You and me.

Discussing this exact point in a Expensive Daewoo dealer of all places today they are aware of the problem,Even the new VX has it but not as bad as the VT when they first bought them out.Expensive Daewoo were doing exactly the same as Ford are doing now,Machine the discs and send them on there way but see again you again in 3-5000km-Have a nice day.They said today that Expensive Daewoo bought finally bite the bullit by bring out a new compound brake pad to use after the machine job was done and no more problems,I should say not as many problems.Only took until the series 2 VT was realised but. Maybe it is the compound of the brake material as they are a very hard compound pad.Imagine the upgrade,Yes my brakes dont shudder anymore after the pad change but fades after 1 good stop.Cant wait.