Wireless Network Help

86gav

• 69 - PSI
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 4d

G'day guys, Well today I have purchased myself a New laptop complete with inbuilt wireless/bluetooth technology. Now, what ive done so far is purchased a wireless modem/router and have managed to get that working and connected to the internet and I can access the internet on both my desktop ( which is connected to the router via ethernet) and the laptop (wireless). Now I want to transfer all my files and stuff from on to the other but I cant seem to be able to get the two pc's to talk to each other. Anyone with any sort of knowledge or help un this subject would be greatly appreciated as this is giving me the right royal sh*ts. Add me on msn da_bikeman@hotmail.com to chat.

Cheers

Gav

• They see me rolllin n hatin...
  • Member For: 17y 10m 7d

I dont know if u ran Network Wizard on all pcs and made it as home network?

• boosting
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 9m 7d

Just remember....

To encrypt your wireless network!!

dont want the neighbours using your band width!

• 69 - PSI
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 4d

The laptop is running vista and the desktop is XP, tried all the suggestions, god this is sh*tting me.

Cheers

Gav

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 28d

Are you running any 3rd pary anti virus / firewall software? Also the router will most likely have a firewall as well. Check the settings to make sure they are not blocking packets between the 2 computers.

• Member For: 18y 10m 10d

Make sure that the Windows XP firewall is set on, but don't tick the checkbox labelled "Don't allow execptions".

Also check the obvious things like ping your desktop PC from your wireless notebook. Can you ping it? If yes than it's a good sign:) If not check these obvious things as well: the IP addresses if they both desktop and laptop are in the same subnet (in english do the first three sets of numbers of your IP address are the same) Example, if your desktop is say 192.168.0.1, is your notebook Ip address 192.168.1.xxx (xxx = any number from 1 - 254)?

Try these and see how you go. If you need more info, please PM me.

Cheers.

• Member For: 18y 10m 10d

Sorry I've made a mistake with the IP addresses

Make sure that the Windows XP firewall is set on, but don't tick the checkbox labelled "Don't allow execptions".

Also check the obvious things like ping your desktop PC from your wireless notebook. Can you ping it? If yes than it's a good sign:) If not check these obvious things as well: the IP addresses if they both desktop and laptop are in the same subnet (in english do the first three sets of numbers of your IP address are the same) Example, if your desktop is say 192.168.0.1, is your notebook Ip address 192.168.0.xxx (xxx = any number from 1 - 254)?

Try these and see how you go. If you need more info, please PM me.

Cheers.