Turbo Oil Supply Screen Cleaning

Ralph Wiggum

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 15y 10m 5d

The only difference I found when I replaced mine was that the new screen supplied was shorter.

The parts people showed me a pdf of the parts page and the part number is the same for the FG, BA/BF.

The screen that came from the factory is clearly longer than the new one supplied.

• 3 months later...
  • Member For: 14y 11m 2d

Did this yesterday,dont think it had been done for a while.Bought mine through local performance store and came to 270$ with earls,filter and good braid.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 17y 6m 12d

I've owned 2 turbo cars and I've never heard of a car running a screen to filter the oil before it goes into the turbo, no wonder xr6t's have a bad rep for blowing turbo

the first thing I will be doing to my motor is taking the screen out....

• <put funny sh*t here>
  • Member For: 17y 5m 16d

I love the idea of the ETM replacement, but I don't like how it sits in the engine bay (yes im a fussy *beep*) :)

Priced up a new filter + fitting (SY9P424A) and oil line (BA9G440A) through coventrys.

My old filter is out, once I can remove the circlip I'll pull it out of the fitting and inspect it for blockages.

I'll also get out a hacksaw and chop the old metal line in a few places (mainly above the turbo) and inspect it for any caked oil. I always let my car cool down before shutting it down, and open the bonnet if its had a real big flogging, but I bought the car at 30,000kms so dunno how the previous owner treated it. I'm curious to see if its blocked at all.

If anything interesting arises I'll take a few snaps and post them up.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m

Mike I'd be curious too. I bought mine at 37 thou a bit over a year ago and am paranoid there's caked oil in the pipes above the turbo...could do without a rebuild at this point in time! I've stacked on about 30 thou since buying her!

• <put funny sh*t here>

Gee that friggen circlip is a *beep* to get out!!!!!! Cheers Envy they are small buggers aren't they. I wonder how much gunk mine has stuck on it.

I'm very curious to see the inside of the oil supply line, can't wait to hack into that thing :P

• <put funny sh*t here>

Do you think this is a good test, to see how good the oil supply is to the turbo?

1) Unbolt the oil return drain from the side of the block, and put the end into a clear container

2) Start the car for about 15 seconds?

3) Visually look how much oil comes out of the oil return drain

I guess it should have a small constant stream of clean engine oil coming out of the oil return drain? Would much oil come out of the side of the motor, or is it too high to have much spillage?

OR is this a very stupid idea that will result in oil everywhere!? :roflmbo::shocked: