Turbo Oil Supply Screen Cleaning

Ralph Wiggum

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d
I have worked on big V16 2500hp Quad turbo diesels for years and they never prefilter the turbo supply oils, the engine oil is just filtered thru four big oil filters. Sounds like they have engineered a problem into the bloody oil system,, clowns,,,

I will be negotiating this pretrubo oil filter change out every 30,000kms as a part of my lease I am sorting out,,

Nothing at all to do with the massive clearnaces in the large plain bearing full floating turbo's?......... Nothing to do with the massive reserve of oil that large medium speed diesels have in there sumps. Nothing to do with schedulded oil sampling being able to trend eng wear and carry out particle counts that will pick up particles much smaller than the clearances in the turbo's prior to eng failure. Nothing to do with turbos being inspected at 4000hr intervals and being changed out prior to failure based on component hours.

Ford haven't engineered a problem into the system the bean counters have. thats why this part doesnt get changed every service and this is also why ford specify a 15000k service interval. It makes fleet maintenace cheaper. That is where this problem comes from.

Luke

• Member For: 17y 15d

nobody but ford uses filters pre turbo,nobody loses turbos due to clogged filters but ford owners.

wake up and get rid of your filters!

I drilled mine out

• Like 1

• BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 6m 22d

It probably wasnt a ford thing you know. Youll probably find that garret requested this

Anyway. Ive been looking through the BA manual and I cant find any informaition on the filter what so ever. There isnt even an image of it :tonguepoke:

Edited by revheadrobbo

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 16y 3m 13d

does anyone know how much for the full assembly and can they be bought after market or only from ford. lost the original turbo after 55000km due to a new mechanic using low quality oil, so not taking any chances this time by simply cleaning the oil supply screen.

• Into the laaaake
  • Member For: 16y 9m 13d
does anyone know how much for the full assembly and can they be bought after market or only from ford. lost the original turbo after 55000km due to a new mechanic using low quality oil, so not taking any chances this time by simply cleaning the oil supply screen.
BA9P424A $65.14 incl GST.
Edited by hanra

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 10d

Leave the filter out alltogether man. Dont worry about it, they are like 80 bucks at fraud. You are taking a chance even by putting a new one in as they are so restrictive.

to everyone who thinks you need this troublesome filter think about this.

you trust your oil filter to protect your main bearings,big end bearings,camshafts,cylinder bores,timing chain etc but you think its not good enough to protect your turbo.

in that case you are putting your entire engine at massive risk of failure at any minute!!!!!!!

the same debris that is trying to kill your turbo will surely wreak havoc on the rest of the engine internals.

the fact is its just not needed and can be the cause of catastrophic turbo failure so why risk it.

• Like 1

yes.

eliminate the risk involved with oil starvation due to the filter restricting oil flow to the turbo.

as I have stated before there is literally thousands of turbos running with no oil filter pre turbo (apart from the regular oil filter) yet I have never heard of such systematic turbo failure due to oil starvation as I have in regards to ford xr6 turbo cars.

I drilled mine out as soon as I got my car.no probs

• Like 1