Turbo Oil Supply Screen Cleaning

Ralph Wiggum

• Into the laaaake
  • Member For: 16y 10m 5d

Just a quick note, I ran my filter through the ultrasonic cleaner. Flushed it with contact cleaner, gave it a blast with compressed air. But still under the microscope I can still see traces of metal in the mesh filter.

So my advice is, dont even bother cleaning the filter just replace the entire assy. It may look clean with the naked eye (which mine certainly does) but at a closer level there will still metal particles within the filter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 27d

got a quote from ford for the job today, $360 labour and $80 for the part. not stocked in wa of course but hey, nothing is.

think I will butcher a spanner like luke said he did and give it a crack myself.

if I get a complete new assembly I am not going to need any more washers and the like am I?

cheers again for the write up.

think I only have the balls to do it now because I've managed to get some maintenance done myself the last few day! how much harder than changing iol can it be!!?? (jjks)

will set aside a whole weekend for this one

• Into the laaaake
  • Member For: 16y 10m 5d
got a quote from ford for the job today, $360 labour and $80 for the part. not stocked in wa of course but hey, nothing is.

if I get a complete new assembly I am not going to need any more washers and the like am I?

will set aside a whole weekend for this one

Not cheap.....

You will still need to purchase the copper washers as they dont come with the filter. My washers had a rubber seal around the inner part. I just coated them with sealant and re-used them.

Good idea, dont rush this job. Its only difficult purely because of the limited amount of access... If it were on the top of the engine it would be the most easy job in the world....!

I would suggest removing the oil filter along with the airbox.

Edited by hanra

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 17y 7m 3d

Hey guys,

I replaced my filter screen in my XR and found a bit interesting, When I remove the old screen ( I bought a new one,) I found that one of the O-Rings in the filter screen and come a drift, you could actually see it poking through the little window of the screen housing. Its never been replaced so its the one from factory, someone at ford was having a bad day, anyway so this means sh*t was going straight into my turbo. Hense the turbo rebuild ive just had done.

I removed my oil filter and had the car on stands so I did it from underneith, If your doing it this from under the car (or maybe from above, I havent done it this way) Do yaself a favour and buy a cheap 24mm spanner and cut it down so its easy to fit in, I was battling with it for a while with a full size spanner and when I used my cut down spanner it took only a few minutes. the spanner only cost 15 bucks and if your doing this job every 20 k it would definalty be worth having in ya tool box, I'm postin a pic of the spanner so u can get an idea of what im on about. The spanner doesn't need to be very long coz you cant crack the seal with a full size spanner. Happy tinkering boys.

Weeman

post-9647-1191329422_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 17y 3m 16d

I just had my oil changed and they were meant to do the turbo supply filter but they didn't. I have a sandwich plate for my gauges but my question is can you change the turbo oil filter without having to change the actual oil filter or oil??

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 16y 3m 28d

Guys,

I've had and modified turbo engines for years (with plain bearing turbos mind you- no failures) and have always just used good oil and good Ford filters (AFL1) with oil fed directly from the engine oil gallery to the turbo via an external line. Is it imperative to run this filter? (1 less failure point?). No other turbo cars that I have heard of run an "auxilliary" fiter like this. Is Ford being overly cautious because it is not a plain bearing turbo? Would'nt the engine filter take out particles smaller than the screen anyway, or am I missing something?

The recently purchased BF should be good for a long time with good oil changes yeah?

• Member For: 16y 4m 10d

I have worked on big V16 2500hp Quad turbo diesels for years and they never prefilter the turbo supply oils, the engine oil is just filtered thru four big oil filters. Sounds like they have engineered a problem into the bloody oil system,, clowns,,,

I will be negotiating this pretrubo oil filter change out every 30,000kms as a part of my lease I am sorting out,,

• 1 month later...
  • BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 7m 14d

Had a crack at it. Its fidgity to say the least. I found that a 15/16th fitter perfectly. I only had a ring spanner so I only got half way