Turbo Oil Supply Screen Cleaning

Ralph Wiggum

• Member For: 18y 9m 20d

This got blocked on my car which caused my turbo to seize up only 2k after a service by ford ..

after looking into it more ford never change or look at this filter.

for the $60 part and how fine the filter is its worth it to change it in my view..

I am even looking at a inline pressure gauge to put in the line near the front just so I know there is a flow of oil going to the turbo..

I noticed my F6 was a little diffent to the pics ya supplied but that was only int e pressure switch area .. and I did all the work from the top easy after pull out the air box and top cross over pipe..

but a nice detailed instruction..

• Member For: 21y 3m 5d
This got blocked on my car which caused my turbo to seize up only 2k after a service by ford ..

after looking into it more ford never change or look at this filter.

for the $60 part and how fine the filter is its worth it to change it in my view..

I am even looking at a inline pressure gauge to put in the line near the front just so I know there is a flow of oil going to the turbo..

I noticed my F6 was a little diffent to the pics ya supplied but that was only int e pressure switch area .. and I did all the work from the top easy after pull out the air box and top cross over pipe..

but a nice detailed instruction..

You wouldn't have taken any pictures?? :blink:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Into the laaaake
  • Member For: 16y 9m 14d

Ok so I just decided to buy a new filter assy, $70ish from those rip off merchants called Fraud.

Now ive spent about 12 years of my life working on different cars so im quite comfortable under the bonnet.

But I must say that this job was an utter pain in the ASS!!!

I found that removing the oil filter and airbox gave me a reasonable amount of room.

The oil pressure sensor is not a 22mm as stated in the 'How To'. It must be imperial, but a deep 21mm socket is a good enough fit to get it off.

My main issue is I have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge fitted, so the electric oil pressure sensor is in the way kind of.

But its a nightmare gettting a 24mm spanner in there to hold the filter assy to stop it spinning when undoing everything... My 24mm spanner is pretty long. A stumpy one would make it easier.

Next issue once it was all going together was getting the round oil line fitting back onto the filter......This nearly tipped me over the edge!!!

That fitting needs to fit onto the screen perfectly square otherwise it just wont go. I ended up having to ever so slightly bend the oil line to allow the fitting to go on square....

Then its back to the issue of getting a spanner in the there to hold everything to prevent it spinning and kinking the oil line....

Im going to take my old filter assy to work, stick it under the microscope and have a closer look. Ill put it in the ultrasonic cleaner and keep it as a spare.

I wouldnt suggest undertaking this job if your either

a: not mechanically minded

b: have a short temper

c: have ADHD

d: or hate working on cars

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Member For: 17y 2m 13d

How do you know if your turbo is on its way out? When I change gears or back off under boost I can feel and hear a vibration noise? I know its not exactly on topic but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also the car feels like its lost power. Ive checked all the hose connections.

Cheers Alf.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

Hanra my apoliogises if i got one of the sizes wrong...i'l try harder next time... :crybaby: seriously though, i had a cheapo sidchrome 21/23mm , 22/24mm and a 15/16 and 1" open enders that i cut in half for removing the screen and it makes the job slighlty more bearable. Its a absolute *beep* of a job to do but worth the efforty in the long term.

how many k's are on your car? was there much cr@p in the screen?

• Into the laaaake

No worries, just glad there is a post like yours with clear instructions on how to do it.

I just removed the screen assy here at work and flushed it and had a look at the contents under the microscope..........

Actually quite scary at the amount of microscopic metal particles that were in there, there were a few pieces visible to the naked eye, still quite small though.

My ute has done 53,000klm.

Yes it was a *beep* of a job but certainly well worth doing. I suggest this is a must do!!!!

I would probably also suggest replacing the assy though. I have flushed miine but under the microscope can still see some particles there.

Im goin to put the filter in the ultrasonic cleaner soon. Hopefully that should get rid of most of it. If it does ill just keep it as a spare, and fit it back in once ive done some more k's.

• Into the laaaake

No idea, im guessing here, but the designator at the start of the part # is BA. Im assuming that part # is purely for a BA.

Im sure one of the super intelligent staff at Ford Spare Parts can help source the part.