Turbo Oil Supply Screen Cleaning

Ralph Wiggum

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 15y 10m 5d

Whats the trick to getting the oil supply line off the filter bolt, cheers

No tirck. Just use either two 24mm open end spanners or one spanner and a deep socket.

You need to remove the oil pressure sender adaptor to slide the pipe off then you can remove the screen from the block.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 6d

Yea hold the banjo bolt that is on the block side of the pipe, then turn the sensor adaptor on the outside of the line to then be able to pull the pipe off and then remove banjo bolt from block.

As for the Earls kit, it is personal preference heaps have the kit and then heaps have just removed the filter like myself and have no issues.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 14d

With mine I just remoevd the airbox, removed the wiring loom from oil pressure sensor, 24mm deep socket with an extension on, slides over the sensor and undoes the adaptor. Then slide the oil line off, then remove the fitting going into the block.

It's piss easy to do, takes all of 10mins once you know what your doing.

Didnt need to hold the banjo fitting in the block as its done up tighter than the adapter.

• Member For: 13y 9m 4d

Did this today, after 57000kms the filter mesh had clearly reduced flow. Made the decision to not replace the filter at all as there is an oil restrictor at the turbo end of piping. I would be interested to hear from those that have no filter, and if turbo oil seal leaks have occurred. Cheers

• Member For: 16y 4m 2d

Mine has had no filter for a long time. All my turbo cars have never had a filter in the line to the turbo.

Haven't lost a turbo yet. No issues other than normal operation in the current vehicle as well.

The oil is going through the main filter anyway, why filter it again? The screens are a built in failure point.

The question is how many turbos have been saved and how many have been lost due to the screen?

It would be a pretty high ratio that the screen HAS CAUSED turbo failure.

I'll go with the odds in my favour.

The usual failure sequence would be........The feed pipes coke up because the flow is already restricted by the filter. The low flow combined with the added heat from going over the exhaust manifold is too much for the oil to take, and it is then that it carbons/cokes up.

From that point, turbo failure from lack of lubrication is inevitable.

What I would hate is to pay a couple of grand just to fix a stock car back to stock :sleepystuff:

• Member For: 13y 9m 4d

I emailed Garrett and asked a couple questions, this was the response.

Some people choose to use an inline oil filter as added protection against an object entering the bearing system and causing problems in the case of the Ford Australia XR6 Turbo, the filtering screen is used to filter not to restrict oil flow. If your engine's oil filter is working properly, this shouldn't really be a concern. If you are talking about an oil restrictor, that is a little different. An oil restrictor limits the oil pressure going into a turbocharger. There are certain limits as to how high a pressure you want the oil entering the turbo. If it is too high, then it can overwhelm the center housing and leak into the end housings causing smoke. Journal bearing turbos typically do not need restrictors, but often times a ball bearing turbo will need one in order to keep oil pressure to around 40-45 psi under load. I don't know what the most efficient boost level is for that vehicle. Please speak to a distributor for a proper match. http://www.turbobyga...tributorServlet

Regards, Garrett Gearhead

Edited by Impellor

• 1 month later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 6d

You'll have to pull the banjo bolt and see if there is a filter hiding in it. If there is a filter there then yes it could one day be an issues and kill ya turbo. As stated in the response above the oil is already filtered so a filter before the turbo is not required. Also the oil going to the bearing is probably doing more of a cooling effect than lubrication so a restricted flow (more restricted than the turbos own restrictor) would be bad.