Vista....anyone Actualy Gone Wow Yet.....

Dagabond

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 5m 4d

Windows new wizzbang operating system everything I've read about it so far is saying dont get it.....

What are the experiences so far for those that have it installed?

"Rumour" has it that file sharing and 'back up' copies are a thing of the past and that it wont allow you to burn..... :blink:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 20y 11m 27d

I initially tried it throughout the various beta stages over the last few years. Got the final version a week or so before they did the release to business customers in Nov last year.

I found I tended to install it, play for a bit, then go back to XP.

I did a reinstall recently due to getting a new PC and installed XP, Vista and OS X.

Vista on my now pretty quick PC runs very well. I am using ultimate. It has some pretty things like OS X and some added security things which are needed....but there are some current issues: there are lots of hardware items that the manufacturers have been slack and havent written drivers for yet. Meaning you can try the XP ones and see if they work (some do) but if they dont, you simply cant use that hardware item in Vista until they do it. Some companies arent ocding Vista drivers for slightly older hardware.

Some software wont run on it either - but usually it is software that operates at a very low level asuch as encryption software.

All it takes is one app you use frequently not to work, and it tends to send you back to XP. That applies to me - PGP doesnt work yet (they are working on it supposedly...).

To sum it up: its pretty. Its good to play with for a while. But XP is still a much better solution for basically everyone.

I think it will take a good 6-12 months for XP to be worth 100% going to. By then just about everything should run on it.

Also, it runs a little slower than XP...which is another way of saying you need a faster PC to get the same performance. Luckily my pc isnt a problem.

The thing that will have me keeping a Vista install handy is DirectX 10. It is going to simply revolutionise PC gaming this year - biggest jump forward ever I reckon. And you have to have Vista and a DirectX compatible video card (very expensive still!) to play them.

I just wish someone would hurry up and release a directx 10 game. A couple are due out very soon. Here I am all geared up to play them, and none are released yet!

Edited by mickq

• MASSIVE MEMBER
  • Member For: 18y 10m 5d

Im using it now, runs sweet and dandy. I'm really liking the readyboost feature of using a flash drive to store start up programs and files . It boots up to the desktop in about 5 seconds.

Havent found any bugs yet and it hasnt crashed once, runs all my games fine. Reconized all my hardware, even my Tv tuner . Just waiting on nvidia to get drivers that support SLI correctly and ill be set.

• Member For: 18y 5m 25d

Running Vista Ultimate and it's sweet.

Only drivers not available are for my UPS (no big deal - it still kicks in when a power out)

and a Wireless card for my other computer.

No crashes, looks good and has lots of features.

• Member For: 18y 6m 18d

yeah been using the various evaluation versions for about 9 months after upgrading from XP media centre. It's very stable but a little slower. But if you're into media centre pc's this has great interfaces for your movies, tv and music.