Sending Large Attatchments In Outlook

stang

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 8d

Have always beena ble to send large attatchments up to about a week ago, don`t know why all of a sudden I can`t. Just keep getting some stupid outlook error telling me it timed out.

I am using optus cable on a 12 gig , am running zone alarm and ha ve a netgear router wgr614 v5

Any ideas, have diasabled firewall, makes no difference.

I can send emails with small attatchments but anything big wont go through.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 2d

This is from the online help for Office Outlook 2007...

Attachment size limitations

Outlook does not impose any size limit on attachments. However, most e-mail server administrators and Internet service providers (ISPs) do set limits on the overall message size, which is the sum of all attachments plus the content of the message itself. Typically, premium-level services provide more e-mail file storage space and allow larger messages than standard-level services. For more information on the maximum allowed message size, contact your ISP or the e-mail server administrator in your organization.

If you are attaching a very large file, you should first compress the file by using a zip program. Outlook files that are saved in the default Open XML Formats with the following file extensions are automatically zipped: .docx, .dotx, .xlsx, .xltx, .pptx, .potx, and .ppsx

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 2d

From Optus...

The maximum size of any single email message cannot exceed 10MB. This limit includes all files attached to it. If you attempt to send a messages larger than 10MB, it will be returned to you with an error message.

It's amazing what you can find out when you look. :sleepystuff:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 8d

guys I dont think you understand have had cable for years all of a sudden it wont let me send large attatchment been trying to send a 5mb file and it times out .Never use to have that problem. It is not server related optus say its nothing to do from there end.

• Iconoclast
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 6m 1d

You may just be dropping packets and the server sends a response which outlook recognises as a large file fault...

Check your port/cabling.........

• Member For: 20y 1m 24d

hey dude, I work at Optus.. tech support, I'm serious(no im not based in India!)

Dude, you are lucky to have been sending 5MB emails previously, Optus mail servers are set to only allow 2MB files.

Try using Optus Webmail to send the same file:

http://webmail.optuszoo.com.au/

use you optus cable username (first part of your Optus email) and password. If that fails then you know it's the Optus mail servers finally catching up with you. If it works then reinstall outlook.

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 1m 26d
hey dude, I work at Optus..  tech support, I'm serious(no im not based in India!)

Ive gotta say mate, the guys at Optus Tech support are nothing but legends. :sleepystuff:

You blokes are always so helpful and patient, and have even advised me what to do when the problem I was having wasnt even Optus related.

Keep up the good work! :spoton: