Xr6t With Injected Lpg

• My engine bay is Bionic
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 1m
gas is higher octane.. 104? I think.. even though high octane does not directly mean higher power

probabley because your burn more each stroke? (ok... now I am just guessing  :idunno: )

Yeah ive noticed you do use much more LGP per litre than petrol.

• Yaris member
  • Member For: 17y 9m 29d

I just looked it up on wikipedia.. said the same thing as GOLDIE

thanks for the info! :idunno:

now I understand how higher octane give POTENTIAL for more power

so u do learn something everyday!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 18d
for $4Gz... minus the goverment money.. makes this a very interesting proposistion!

Im not really very knowledgeable about gas systems.. and might make a complete a55 of myself buuuuuut.. I understand gas doesnt lubriate your valve seats(?).. so does this have a flow on effect to any parts of the T's engine?

The valves I know are different to the standard 4.0lt engine with Inconel high temp exhaust valves fitted standard to the T.

I made enquiries a couple of months ago but was told LPG was not available for the Turbo engines. Nice to see it must be avaliable now.

Looked on the APS site but there is no info and they are closed till the 19th Jan. Is there anyone else?

Edited by ColinT

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 28d

haha you guys are reminding me of the backfires we used to get out of the old nissan forklifts.. its the funniest sh*t ever. get to max rpm, turn him off at the ignition then as the revs drop flick it back to on and the loudest crack you ever heard ahahahah

gave many old timers heart attacks with that one.. not to mention kids falling in bins and jumping for cover.. aaaahhh the memories.

back on topic anyways

• Member For: 20y 11m 24d
I don't know anything about converting to gas either, but just wondered if anyone has had any problems with it? 

I read somewhere a ford engineer said that stronger conrods were needed for the factory BA LPG motor as the DOHC head flows so well, if there's a back fire with LPG you can expect bent rods (SOHC heads wouldn't let enough gas in to cause damage apparently).  Have these injected gas systems overcome the backfire possibility?

Its got nothing to do with the heads. Doesn't matter what type of valve setup you run they can all backfire with the old style single point setup. As Ford use the old type if they backfire they will bend standard rods. Was tested and proven.

• My new toy
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 29d
for $4Gz... minus the goverment money.. makes this a very interesting proposistion!

Im not really very knowledgeable about gas systems.. and might make a complete a55 of myself buuuuuut.. I understand gas doesnt lubriate your valve seats(?).. so does this have a flow on effect to any parts of the T's engine?

The valves I know are different to the standard 4.0lt engine with Inconel high temp exhaust valves fitted standard to the T.

I made enquiries a couple of months ago but was told LPG was not available for the Turbo engines. Nice to see it must be avaliable now.

Looked on the APS site but there is no info and they are closed till the 19th Jan. Is there anyone else?

As I stated earlier it is not aps that is air power systems it is a different company in frankston called APS Service Centre

Ian

• Member For: 17y 3m 12d

Have just got home from Sydney.

Car is just great, no difference from LPG to Petrol.(except costs)

APS knew I wanted to make more power one day and fitted two regulators to the car.

Just to give you an idea of the potential here, one of these regulators on an LS1 is known to flow sufficient fuel for 200+ rwkw so I have two!!! :yummy:

You can barely see the injectors (they are under the manifold)

check out the pics:

XR6T015.jpg

Boot Install (very neat) I got the 60L useable tank, apparently this is the biggest available for the BA/BF.

XR6T014.jpg

XR6T012.jpg

Hidden injector.

XR6T013.jpg

XR6T011.jpg

2 regulators (1 is good for 200rwkw!)

XR6T010.jpg

XR6T009.jpg

Fuel switch

Regarding fule consumption, According to ECU

between North Richmond and Bathurst was as follows: (keep in mind that I accidentally forgot to change from manual on both legs and therefore drove in third for quite a while.)

Time 1hr 31 minutes

Ave speed 80k

Distance 136.5

Average fuel consumption 11.1l/100k's

The car used 16.69l of LPG for the trip.

16.69L divided by 136.5 (trip distance) is 0.1223 so 0.1223L is average fuel per kilometer.

Multiply 1.223 by 100 and that gives 12.227 L/100 average over the trip.

Keep in mind on this leg I was overtaking and doing lots of uphill driving.

Next leg.

Bathurst to Mudgee via Sofala (More hills and corners):

ECU (reset when leaving Bx) says:

Trip time 1hour 25 minutes

Avrage speed 89k

Distance 116k

Average fuel consumption 10.7L/100k

Actual use: 15.137L divided by the distance 116k is 0.13049 per kilometer ( the ambient temp is over 30 degree's celcius at this stage)

so that's 13.0494L/100k's

The last leg I cant really measure because I accidentally drove on petrol for some of the distance.

Go the LPG!

If you can have power and cheap motoring, why not have both.?