Underdrive Pulleys

gt-p

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 17y 11m 21d

Hi folks,

Can any one help me please, I have just recieved my powerbond underdrive pulley and want to know about installing it, the bolt in front of the pulley is this a left hand or right hand thread? Is the pulley a interference fit to the shaft? if so any methods of getting it off? If the new pulley is interference fit how can I install it without damaging the new pulley? last but not least does the bolt at the front of the pulley need to be torqued if so what is the required torque? Any pics or installation procedures would help

Im over in Scotland so the only way I can get information is from you guys, your help is much appreciated

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 17d
Hi folks,

Can any one help me please, I have just recieved my powerbond underdrive pulley and want to know about installing it, the bolt in front of the pulley is this a left hand or right hand thread? Is the pulley a interference fit to the shaft? if so any methods of getting it off? If the new pulley is interference fit how can I install it without damaging the new pulley? last but not least does the bolt at the front of the pulley need to be torqued if so what is the required torque? Any pics or installation procedures would help

Im over in Scotland so the only way I can get information is from you guys, your help is much appreciated

Its right hand thread, I would call it a snug fit,best way to get it off if it doesn't pull off by hand try using a puller. Before installing the new pulley, clean crank with some emery paper and apply anti-size. If still a bit tight going on then tap with a rubber or nylon hammer. As for how tight it should be done up I'm not sure, I've always used a rattle gun to do mine up.

• 3 months later...
  • Banned
  • Member For: 14y 9m 1d

anyone with 350rwkw + running one of those ebay pulleys? Im concidering it....make a difference? install it before or after you hit 350rwkw+?

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 14y 7m 8d

So I got an underdrive for my XR6 for Christmas! Excellent. Couldn't wait to put this abd boy on. As always everyone was pretty well shut over the Christmas/ New Years period so I had to wait a bit. Bought the belt and crank shaft seal from Jason at Bursons in Caboolture. They had to be ordered in - no worries had them the next day. Went in the next day to grab the stuff. Jason told me that the belt I had ordered would maybe be a bit too small (he got told by the manager at another Bursons store - who had an underdrive installed that he put the smaller belt on and it snapped not to long after installation) so he gave me two to try. Alrighty here we go. Pull the fan off, take off the belt. Ok..... got the crankshaft puller handy.... Won't fit.... can't get a grip on the stock balancer..... Back around to Jason - how much is the tool...? He Says ALOT.... He told me to just go back to work pull it apart as far as you can and call the local mobile mechanic and get them to take it off... (cost me $40 - stoked!) All good got it on. Take it for a drive. Can't notice much at the start (only driving around in a 80klm/hr area). Going home time, merging onto the Bruce Highway, chuck it into sequentil shift.... 1st nothing, 2nd feels normal, 3rd HERE WE GO! 4th Still going

Results: pulls alot ahrder in 3rd to what it used to, the power just keeps coming. It used to just plateau in 3rd and sleakly shift into 4th, but now it just keeps going.

Great result for little time spent, a little bit pricey for what you get. Not neck breaking difference - but you can notice it.

Haven't got my ute on a dyno yet. Currently got CAI, K&N panel, and full exhaust, and underdrive. Will be good to see what it's got for a p platers car.

p.s will get all part numbers on monday for exactly what I used and post up here.

Ryan.