Plenum

• - Track Bound EVO III -
  • Member For: 19y 4m 4d

Well with the drinking season in full swing, I finally got around to taking some snaps of the nearly complete plenum.

I got it back from Tig Man a few weeks ago, so in the next couple of weeks, it should

Be fitted up and some results in.

Very basic design, as is obvious, but it’s to test the waters and get a general idea as to

if it works, or not. If this one is successful I will make a more rounded top half ( of different material ) and begin to replace the lower runners with another set I have earmarked..

Pix :)

plenum2.jpg

plenum1.jpg

plenum3.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Materials are:

6mm plate sides and top

10mm plate for the flange sections. ( To lower section and throttle body )

• No V6 for me thanks!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 14d

Looks good mate. Keep us updated on advantages or loose in all areas.

Muzza.

It's the next step for a few of us.

Looking good Ben um interested top see how it performs...just one quick question...wheres the air supposed to get in... :nono:

seriously well done  :sick:

The air.. oh yeah. I knew I forgot something!!! :sick:

Am yet to port out the intakes. Mr die grinder is taking the xmas break off to drink beer, he'll resume work in the New Year.

This is going in with the ICC/Dual Zone climate Conversion.

Anyone know a place in WA to get this thing powder coated??

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 12d

I think it looks great for a basic design which you aimed for. I don't think your clutch and plenum will get along too well if it performs better than expected though!!!!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 11m

Nice work mate, looks great so far. I spose you can expect a better, fatter top end and hopefully not too much loss down low.

Does anyone know of the effects of the Nizpro plenums? Would be a good comparison

• 2 weeks later...

Well we hit a speed bump today.. Gramps' plasma cutter couldn't do the job.. actually, I doubt the little dazzler would cut the skin from custard, but, try as she might, the 10mm plate was too thick for the little girl.. 6mm is her rated depth for Ally.. not to worry..

So, off to F6 UTE'S dodgey workshop ( Via Bunnings ) for some intuition..

Bought myself some spare metal jigsaw blades, a few sanding discs, a few polishing discs, and a Dremel ( always wanted one of those!! ) with a tungsten carbide cutting attachment.

So, get to work. 11mm pilot hole, then jigsaw. :spoton: This lasted 10 seconds..

Just go and try and cut 10mm plate aluminium with a jigsaw, I dare you... :gooff: So, what next... I had an idea. Drill a million pilot holes around the outside, then cut with jigsaw. :crybaby:

Hmmm... got atleast 4 holes drilled before spitting the dummy with that idea.... ( 10mm plate didn't look that thinck when I was cutting it up???? :Doh: )

So, grab the trusty CNC Circular saw.. HELLO :w00t2: damn, just like cutting thru butter, but more dangerous :Doh: Gotta say, I'm, never a big fan of dicing a turning blade thru the centre of a piece of sheet aluminium, but if it works, I'll go with it..

Drilled around the tight corners and finished off with jigsaw..

Partial result looked like swiss cheese........ :blink:

Grabbed the Dye Grinder and aluminium burr to hack away for some cleanup and round and smooth the internal edges. This lasted 3 FARRKING HOURS - FOR ONE SIDE.

:nono:

I don't have a moisture trap on my $3 compressor, so when the dye grinder started spitting water at me, it was time to sink some beer :spoton:

So, effectively in 4hours I have 1/4 of the thing done I reckon.. I mixed it up with getting the Dremel out and playing around with what it can do.. very nice!! Gets into all the small areas the Dye grinder is too big for, and finishes it off nicely.. Also polished the outside a little, brief wank factor only.. ( It's getting painted )

So, tomorrow is finish the damn plenum day. My back is stuffed, and I have metal filings everywhere.. I have a new found hate.. Next time it's water cut flanges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll post up pix tomorrow of the ugly duckling of plenums - if I don't throw against a wall first :censored:

Guest newl
  • Guests

Sounds like you had the best excuse to make a visit to the tool shed for a Tool Man job. :spoton:

Sink a few more beers. That'll be sure to help you relax after all that effort.

Yes, the Dremel is a quite handy little tool indeed. :censored: