Washed The Car At Home In Melbourne

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 11d

Well, in Melbourne, Stage 3 water restrictions come into force on 1st Jan 2007, so I just washed the car at home today with a bucket for the last time for quite a while. Waxed it up with some canuba as well.

As a Christmas pressie, got a Maquires waterless car wash kit comprising some cloths and detailers spray. So, will be using that sometime in the future.

Will try out some of the commercial car washes soon. Any recommendations anybody of where's good and who to avoid in Melbourne?

Edit: Stage 3 not Stage 4 :spoton:

Edited by EvilDaifu

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seriously Flukey Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 26d

Gary,

Tip 1:

DO NOT USE THE CARWASH BRUSH ON YOUR DUCO........EVER

I use those rub-a-dub things but never ever with the brush.

Use the pre-soak, soap and the rinse.

• Member For: 18y 5m 24d

Err... these water restrictions are killing the fun of my weekly car wash ritual, before Stage 2 came into play, I loved my time getting close to the T... I've forgotten what it's like.

Been using a new car wash in Mill Park which is completely brushless, it's the robot style but nothing touches the car aside from high pressure water.

On top wash $13, driving in you get an undercar spray, then wash, conditionier, wax style. You do have the option to give the car a quick wipe over with a very soapy brush which I had ignored for approx 3 visits.

It does a good job for a 100% touch free wash, though my last visit I had no choice due to dirt buildup but to use the brush prior to the wash and the car looked great afterwards (nothing like a Meguiars or Autoglym shampoo of course). Soap from these places smells a bit dodgy, I guess we don't have many options really.

Edited by GEoMaNTiK

• My new toy
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 25d

We have not been allowed to wash our cars at home with a hose for over 12 months and not at all for 4 months now you guys have had it good.

And as has been said do not use a brush on your deco.

Ian

• Powered by Ford's 3.7 V6 = Zoom Zoom Zoom!
  • Member For: 19y 5m 17d
We have not been allowed to wash our cars at home with a hose for over 12 months and not at all for 4 months now you guys have had it good.

Ian

And down here, a mere 40km south of you we can hose all day loooong :spoton:

Clarke

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 10m 29d

I thought Melbourne was going to Stage 3 restrictions on Jan 1?

We've been on stage 4 for about 7 weeks now down at Phillip Island. I only use the high pressure cleaners to wash the car then chammy it dry afterwards.

Don't be surprised if the cost of the car washes goes up. Used to be $10 for the touchfree car wash down here but has risen to $15 and the timer on the DIY car wash has been changed from $1 = 2 mins to $1 = 1min 30 secs. The reason for the increase is because they have to install tanks and have the water shipped in.

The water situation is getting no better though because the Western Port Water Board is sending out letters to Hotel/Motel/House owners explaining that the Island may be closed to residents only by Jan 17 because there will be no drinking water left. Down to 25% water in the catchment area now :spoton:

• Good for nothing member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 9m 22d

These water restrictions are f*cked I use the truck wash at work where I can take my time if needed. But I honestly think you use more water bucket washing a car than hosing it. I've been warned once for washing the car at home, I had a watering can next to the car and the hose laying beside it. The watering can was just a decoy they couldnt prove I was using the hose I told them I was too lazy to walk back and foward to the tap just to fill up the watering can so they let it go

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 23d

I would like to send a bill for 800 dollars to the nsw government to pay for my dead turf.

also do we get a tax rebate cos the government isnt doing its job to secure a solid supply of water.

when is enough enough.

soon we will have to share a wet one for showers :censored::gooff:

• KILL,KILL,KILL,DIE,DIE,DIE,
  • Member For: 17y 11m 12d

Hey gary any laser/brush free car wash will do the job but even they have been effected by the new restrictions e.g. less of a cycle like only going around the car once insted of twice but they are still good.

I have only ever used them and some even have jets at the end to blow most of the water off to save your self chamioing.I would recomend them to any one.