Any Ideas For Group Buys? - Window shopping for blokes...

Guest NOS XR

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 28d
[quote name='Max Power' post='517554' date='Apr 5 2007, 12:26 PM']What about this for a group buy?

Get a tuner/mechanic to do bottom ends;

rods = $ 1000
pistons = $ 700
balance = $ 300
gaskets, etc = $ 500
labour = $ 1000
---------
total = $ 3500

Surely this price is possible.
Im sure there will be lots of customers :blush:[/quote]
If only buying something was as easy as making the price up yourself. :pinch:

• Member For: 19y 11m 20d
[quote name='Adam' post='519442' date='Apr 9 2007, 08:28 PM']If only buying something was as easy as making the price up yourself. :blush:[/quote]

I think Im pretty accurate about the parts prices, Adam. I can get Argo rods, for example, for $1000 and thats pleb prices. If mechanics can get them at trade then more money in their pockets. Balancing rods and crank is no more than $300 and $500 for gasket and incidentals is on the money too.
The only prob is labour. 10 hours to R&R is more than enough dont you think? The problem is that I dont think mechanics are happy with just 10 hours of labour charge. They factor 2.5 times that as a bare minimum.
Im not doing myself any favours here but Im sure others share my sentiments on this. Its just one of those things thats not talked about as the Tune natzi might say 'NO CUSTOM TUNE FOR YOU!' :pinch:

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 28d
I think your way off on the price of pistons.
I would of thought more than 10 hours to remove, rebuild and refit. Hell, i get 12 just to do a rear main seal at work.

• Member For: 19y 11m 20d
Youre thinking forged pistons but my target is 375rwkw or 500rwhp and I consider forgies for that target overkill.
The hypereutectics should do just fine. Hell, I was thinking that my current pistons should do the power Im after with no probs.
Here's an interesting question for the mechanics. How many hours do you think labour would be?

• Member For: 17y 3m 2d
[quote name='Max Power' post='519462' date='Apr 9 2007, 09:04 PM']I think Im pretty accurate about the parts prices, Adam. I can get Argo rods, for example, for $1000 and thats pleb prices. If mechanics can get them at trade then more money in their pockets. Balancing rods and crank is no more than $300 and $500 for gasket and incidentals is on the money too.
The only prob is labour. 10 hours to R&R is more than enough dont you think? The problem is that I dont think mechanics are happy with just 10 hours of labour charge. They factor 2.5 times that as a bare minimum.
Im not doing myself any favours here but Im sure others share my sentiments on this. Its just one of those things thats not talked about as the Tune natzi might say 'NO CUSTOM TUNE FOR YOU!' :spoton:[/quote]
well i just bought the argo rods for $1177 on a group buy. trade price was $1230 plus gst plus delivery. and bought wiseco pistons off ebay for $750 so no warranty there, trade is about $1200+. there is $1900+ worth of machine work, just so the motor is safe. and there is still no guarantee it wont handranade itself. so if you can find someone willing to do all that for $3500 who will warranty my motor for 400+ rwkw let me know. obviously you wont find anyone. and if you did they would have to be real dodgey. ps you get what you pay for